Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,108   Online: 933

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, everyone. I don't want to seem ingrateful, but I know TLRs and RFs are much quieter. I shoot with these as well. Just wondering relatively speaking, which SLRs are quieter.

Of course, you're all right. For candids, an SLR isn't the best. My next step is to figure out which TLR focussing screens are as bright as my Kowa's. My Rollieflex Standard (1933) can't hold a candle, of course. I'll start a new thread (when I get back from work) about this. Thanks again!

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Pentax 645 is pretty loud.. As is the Hasselblad 503cx. My buddies mamiya 7 was near silent.

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by meltronic
    Of course, you're all right. For candids, an SLR isn't the best. My next step is to figure out which TLR focussing screens are as bright as my Kowa's.
    If you can deal with the bulk, you might consider a Mamiya C220F. Am I right in supposing that the C330S has the same screen? I seem to recall there are brighter screens for the later Rolleiflexes as well, but I've no direct experience here to draw from.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On some "recent" models of Rolleiflex, like the F, it's possible to replace the old screen for the 2.8GX/FX modern screen. I did the replacement on my 1961 2.8F and now it's as bright as my 6008 pro.
    ::: [ jeanba.photo ] ::: [ jeanba.work ] :::

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've read that the Pentax 645 is pretty quiet for a medium format SLR. I own two of them. They're not. TLR or RF.

I found the Praktisix/Pentacon six series, and their Nuremberg-assembled Exakta 66 clones, comparatively quiet and vibration-free.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I agree that a TLR or rangefinder is your best bet. And that encompasses a huge range of cameras stretching back nearly 70 years. If nothing else, you'll have plenty of fun in your search.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by meltronic
    My next step is to figure out which TLR focussing screens are as bright as my Kowa's. My Rollieflex Standard (1933) can't hold a candle, of course. I'll start a new thread (when I get back from work) about this. Thanks again!
    You can always have the screen upgraded, so I wouldn't pick the camera on the basis of the focusing screen. I've had a modern screen with a fresnel and split-image circle added to my Voigtlander Superb TLR, and I've upgraded my Bronica S2A screens to Satinsnow screens. Maxwell offers custom upgrades, and Beattie sells screens for many popular camera models.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll vote for a rolleiflex. I had a Mamiya TLR but its shutter was loud compared to the two rolleis I have.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Save some money, just wait a few more years and people won't remember what a shutter sounds like!
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin