Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,103   Online: 802

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ceratto
    Save some money, just wait a few more years and people won't remember what a shutter sounds like!

Awe come on Ceratto, any camera worth its muster, has the sound of a shutter programed in and delivered in a Windows .wav file format on those little tiny speakers!..LOL

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With respect to the Mamiya TLRs, my C220 is much quieter then my C330, due to the lack of the automatic shutter cocking.

I find my Mamiya 645 Pro and Super to each be reasonably quiet - I rarely notice the sound.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A medium format SLR with a Pellicle mirror should be very quiet.

Does such a camera exist?

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The Rollei SL66 was (is) the quietest SLR I'm aware of, except for the newer Rollei 2008 which may be even quieter. Also the lowest level of mirror slap. No SLR, however, is going to be really quiet. Over the years, I've used Bronicas, Mamiyas, Pentaxes, and Hassy's and the Rolleis are still the quietest.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want a quiet MF SLR, wrap it in a towel. Or get an inflatable blimp - it looks like a giant insect cocoon surrounding your camera. They are used for wildlife shooting where the KERTHWUNK of a mirror and the PRRRRPPT of the motor winder are deafening to any small animal or bird within a 100 mile radius of your camera. Not particularly handy for street shooting candids, but they'll definitely muffle the noise. Failing that, go for a TLR. If you want a nice one to try out for not much money, pick up a Graflex 22 TLR. I got mine in Excellent+ condition, including leather case, for $50. If you want a bang-around copy, they go for under $30. It doesn't have a mechanized film advance- it's wind it yourself with the red window, but the shutter is a very nice self-cocking job.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rollei 6008s are quiet, compared to other autowinding MF SLRs, and some manual winds. You can "divide" the noise by pre-releasing the mirror. There is also a programming option that quiets the camera further by slowing down the film transport speed, but that may not be acceptable to you. If you are looking for stealth, I have to agree with the TLR comments.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Okay, I get it. I get it! I'll get a TLR. But thank you all for your replies. I didn't know Graflex made a TLR. I'll have to look for it. I do have an old Rolleiflex Standard, but that screen is just so dark. I need to modernize a bit, however a 6008 is going too far.

In any case, I've decided to see if I can go 6 months without buying a camera. Don't know if it's possible.

Thanks again,
    Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nothing even comes close to a Rolleiflex TLR. My 2.8F is amazing and as a bonus so vibration free that shooting 1/30s or 1/15s is a piece of cake. I have a Beattie Intenscreen in mine and it's even brighter than my Mamiya RZ67 now.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quiet MF SLR=Oxy-moron
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was very pleased and surprised at how quiet the "swish..shunk" of my RB67 compared to other cameras we have. It's quieter than my wife's Bronica ETRS, my 35mm Canon F1 or the Hassleblad 500c we used to have. It's not as quiet as a Speed Graphic if it (the Speed) uses a lens' leaf shutter, but WAY less quiet than the Speed's focal plane shutter.

-KwM-

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin