Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,512   Online: 1095

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bronica E28 Extension Tube - cannot focus

OK, this is probably me doing something stupid but when I tried to use my recently acquired E28 extension tube today on both my ETR and ETRSi bodies, I couldn't get the lens to focus. I don't have a manual but the seller jotted down some instructions on connecting it to the lens and body, which I followed and appeared to do correctly since all connected up OK. However when I turned the lens to focus nothing changed and everything was out of focus. Now I did try it with my 50mm lens since it was the only one to hand, would it be this (I need to dig out my 75mm lens to test) or is something else not quite right? Any suggestions appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How close to your subject are you when you are trying to focus?, the purpose of the extension tube is to allow you to be closer to your subject when focusing, you will not be able to focus at infinity with the lens tube attached, focus your lens all the way out, and then move into a subject to find out how close you can focus, an extension tube is for macro work, and not normal focusing.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How close were you focussing? The 28 adds how much extension? 28mm would be too simple I bet 28mm added to 50mm is pretty close focussing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smudwhisk
    OK, this is probably me doing something stupid but when I tried to use my recently acquired E28 extension tube today on both my ETR and ETRSi bodies, I couldn't get the lens to focus. I don't have a manual but the seller jotted down some instructions on connecting it to the lens and body, which I followed and appeared to do correctly since all connected up OK. However when I turned the lens to focus nothing changed and everything was out of focus. Now I did try it with my 50mm lens since it was the only one to hand, would it be this (I need to dig out my 75mm lens to test) or is something else not quite right? Any suggestions appreciated.
    With a 50mm lens and a 28mm extension tube you will need to be very close to your subject. Even with a 75mm lens the subject will need to be quite close to the camera.

Quick test with your 50mm lens, identify a subject and move the camera closer and closer until you get focus - it will be inches from the end of the lens. Hope this helps

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    Quick test with your 50mm lens, identify a subject and move the camera closer and closer until you get focus - it will be inches from the end of the lens. Hope this helps

Mike

I'll give it another try but was trying to focus on the net curtain (seemed as good a target for macro as anything) at the window while standing in front of it, I could see the curtain fairly clearly but couldn't quite get to focus properly. Possibly too close, I'll give it another go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by smudwhisk
    I'll give it another try but was trying to focus on the net curtain (seemed as good a target for macro as anything) at the window while standing in front of it, I could see the curtain fairly clearly but couldn't quite get to focus properly. Possibly too close, I'll give it another go.
    This discussion is parallel to one in the LF forum. The orignal poster there was also trying to use a wide angle lens with a lot of extension and couldn't discern focus. Turns out he had two problems. Basically he didn't know how to focus a view camera. And his lens performed badly at the magnification he was trying to use it at.

You know how to focus -- moving the camera is THE way -- but you're using a retrofocus lens at roughly 1:2. This is closer than its maker intended so it may give such a fuzzy image that discerning when it is in good focus is difficult. Also, wide open at 1:2 there's not much depth of field so when teetering back and forth its easy to miss the instant when the lens is focused on the subject.

Good luck, don't practice lens abuse,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Basically he didn't know how to focus a view camera. And his lens performed badly at the magnification he was trying to use it at.

You know how to focus -- moving the camera is THE way -- but you're using a retrofocus lens at roughly 1:2. This is closer than its maker intended so it may give such a fuzzy image that discerning when it is in good focus is difficult. Also, wide open at 1:2 there's not much depth of field so when teetering back and forth its easy to miss the instant when the lens is focused on the subject.
    Thank you for the comments. I am fully conversent with how to focus a camera, having used a number for many years. Just having difficulties working with an extension tube, since previously have only used macro filters successfully. I may well have been too close to the subject, something I have taken in mind.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    With a 50mm lens and a 28mm tube, that's going to put you pretty close to the subject.

Set the focus for the lens at infinity and leave it there to start with. Don't turn the focus ring. Move the camera closer or farther from the subject to focus. To do this precisely it helps to have a macro focus rail.

For greater magnification set the focus closer on the focus ring, but then focus by moving the camera, not by adjusting the ring. It's much easier that way.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went through this with a 36mm tube for my SQ-Ai a year or so ago. After a while decided that the hassle of establishing focus whilst perched on a rock face or wherever simply wasn't worth it and that the macro lens which gives me 1:4 pretty much gets me what I need. I may have persevered a little more if I were using it in a studio or at least in a comfortable working position. From my notes I see I could achieve focus with my 80mm lens only when the lens was focussed to or near its minimum focus distance and that I could achieve what looked like decent focus only with the subject at 14"-15.5" from the film plane. With a 50mm lens I got focus at around 9.5" from the film plane.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the most useful items I have for doing macro work both in the studio as well as in the field is a macro focusing rail, I picked it up several years ago, it is a bogen make with micro adjustments, mount your camera lens combo then mount to your tripod, focus your camera at infinity, then you can use the rail to adjust the fine focus, makes macro work for me a whole lot easier..

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin