Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,527   Posts: 1,572,399   Online: 1117

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Shutter Issue - Found = Lost Cause ?

All,
    As some may recall, I was having an issue with an old Pronto Shutter that came with a Balda folder I had purchased. After some issues, I was able to get inside of the shutter to find what the issue was. Unfortunately it seems as if one of the leaves cracked at the bottom; therefore not allowing the action pin to actuate the leaf. I suppose this is a lost cause eh ? Anyone have experiance with this type of damage ?

Thanks !

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    www.flutotscamerarepair.com

Carol seems to be the resident genius amongst us when it comes to repairs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the link. I also checked out www.certo6.com. We'll see what they have to say.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had the same thing happen with a balda folder I have. I bought another junker prontor shutter (same size) and just switched the blades. I don't know if the blades are matched to each shutter or not, but decided to give it a try anyway. It's still running fine.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Some Long Winded Info

Rick et al,
    Thanks for the help. I have been hunting on the net for about a week trying to figure out most of the information on these old folders as possible. Here are some links which I have found helpful - which may save others some headaches (translate as needed):

http://www.ukcamera.com/classic_cameras/shutpronto.html
    http://www.kamera-geschichte.de/files/verschluss1_d.htm

All of these folders look damn near the same, but they appear to have different names stamped on them, wtih different lens/shutter combos (Think Honda = Acura...Or for this purpose, VW = Audi). From what I have found, all of the early Balda folders had 2 leaf shutters manufactured by AGC. I assume that the earliest were the aforementioned 3 speed Pronto (1908 design), or some I have found had a Compur (Although I do not know if these were origional on a Balda, as most of the Compurs were the higher quality/priced shutter). The Vario looks to be of the same stamping and design of the Pronto, with the omission of a self-timer.
    Im also thinking that the early ones were all 6x9 format, as all of the cameras I have found that had the 6x4.5 insert were coupled with later Prontor (s) (II) shutters. This would also make all of the early Prontos the same size (size 0 I was told..30mm middle element threads), as they would all have over a 100mm lens for the format. (mine has a 10.5cm Rodenstock, 710,xxx, ca. 1935).
    Again, all of this is a shot in the dark, just a reiteration of the information I have found by looking around on the net.

Regards,

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin