Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,498   Online: 1033

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    The thing that shocked me with my first M/F camera ( a Yashica 124G ) was that a fairly inexpensive camera could blow my expensive 35mm gear ( all Nikon at that time ) out of the water for quality, and I could use fast film and still retain the the image quality.
    I am sorry Ben, I think you will have to be banished now. How dare you post such sound, logical and evidence based information!!!???
    Off with you, and don't you dare come back until you are thoroughly repentant and sporting a brand new "Leitz" tattoo!

Jokes aside, I have a proof sheet contact printed from a roll of 120 film - 12 6x6 exposures - and I actually keep that particular one with completed prints because I like it so much! 12 individual pictures that make up a really neat print. That really made me think - my 35mm proof sheets are not even very good proof sheets unless viewed through a loupe! I can't wait for my first LF negative, I am sure that will blow me away. Having said that - Ben is absolutely right - there is no better compromise I can think of for negative size, gear portability and flexibility, etc. Not to mention all wonderful old cameras that take 120 film - from folders to TLR's and so on - each with its own character, each giving you a unique experience. Gotta love it!

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Temptation

Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    Bentley, look at the watch . . .
    You're getting sleepy . . . sleepy . . . sleepy . . .
    A 4x5 MPP . . . only weighs . . . as much as a Hassie . . . with a 150mm lens . . .
    When I snap my fingers . . . you'll wake up . . . and proceed directly to eBay . . .
    Don't temp me Terence , I have enough cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... I have enough cameras.
    Strange. I understand each word, but together -- and in that order -- they make
    no sense whatsoever.

-- MW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus W
    Strange. I understand each word, but together -- and in that order -- they make
    no sense whatsoever.

-- MW
    You mean that was in English ??? I was just staring at it thinking that a sailboat would appear...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    You mean that was in English ??? I was just staring at it thinking that a sailboat would appear...
    LOL! Stop it, stop it, stop it!! I'm laughing to hard!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doug, that is a beautiful shot of a beautiful tree. I adore trees - they are so beautifully intricate. Have fun with the MF gear

Shooter
    Multi Format

Camerless

Don't temp me Terence , I have enough cameras.
    In fact I recently bought a new mobile phone , and with some difficulty managed to find one without an inbuilt digital camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Haaah. It IS a slick slope... for the last few months I've been wishing I had like 4k to boot on photographic stuff. If only money was no object...

And, uhh, I've shot hundreds of MF photos, but, uhh, never made a print. I guess I'll have to hit the darkroom this weekend... my scanner can't be doing the negs full justice from what you all say.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    It's a long slippery slope. MF seems good now, but soon you'll realize what a 4x5 LF negative would be like. From there, it's a short leap to 8x10. Realizing 8x10 is too heavy, you'll by a 5x7. Forgetting how heavy the 8x10 was, you'll start thinking about banquet cameras. Next thing you know an 8x20 will show up at the door. It only weighs a little more than an 8x10. Realizing this you'll decide you'd use the 8x10 if it was just a LITTLE lighter, so you buy another 8x10. Still too heavy, you'll realize MF wasn't so bad and buy a Hasselblad because if you're going to shoot "small" negs you may as well use the "best". Realizing how heavy the Hassie is you'll start to buy old folder MF cameras that you can slip into your pocket. Soon enough you're the photographic version of the old lady with 2000 cats.

Ask me how I know.

Congrats, though. MF was what made me really love photography. It IS just about the perfect combination of neg size vs camera size.
    Ok, how do you know ?
    Didn't happen to me............................yet
    regards Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Soren,
    It's actually getting worse. I "somehow" picked up a 70mm film back (oh, and a 70mm aerial camera) and now find myself in possesion of 1500 feet of 70mm film. I SWEAR I don't know how it happens.

So is anyone looking for TWO C330 bodies, with three lenses, lens shades, a paramender, two WLFs, a metering prism . . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin