Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,215   Online: 1184

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I, too, have started down the slippery slope.

About a month and a half ago, I decided that I wasn't getting the combination of sharpness and low-ish grain that I wanted out of 35mm. I still have quite a few rolls left and I'm playing with different developers, but I'm feeling disenchanted.

So I've been shooting a lot more MF. I've had a Yashica Mat 124 for a while now and have shot with it quite a bit, but not quite as intensively as the last month or so. I've shot everything from 25 to 400 speed film to see how I feel. I am really liking it.

However, I purchased a 5x7 at a camera show about 6 months ago. I finally got everything together for it in preparation for a zone system class I took this quarter. I went out with the class on Saturday for 7 hours and shot 14 sheets. I just did my required print last night (first time in the wet darkroom in almost 2 years). Wow. That's a big neg, and a sharp print (I can only contact print).

I am already thinking about 8x10. :-)

Of course, it's about the right tools for the job. I certainly won't take LF with me all the time, and I will certainly shoot 35mm sometimes. It's just more equipment to buy..

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 5x7 contact prints are great, but an 8x10 one will blow you away. I haven't shot any myself, but the first time I saw an 8x10 color transparency it was like looking out of a window into a forest. Unbelieveable. My 5x7 Korona isn't much heavier than some of my MF, so it makes the rounds more than my 8x10 Korona, which I could use as an anchor in a hurricane.

Back to MF . . . I find that I always print my MF, and can't even remember the last time I printed a 35mm shot.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    As Ken Rockwell has said, concerning some of the Mamiya 6 lenses:

"If you are used to slumming with Leica, Canon and Nikon you will be astounded."

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Just bought a De Vere 504 enlarger so the slippery slope of LF is nearing for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats Doug and nice photo! I might have missed it somewhere but I'm curious what camera you used.
    O yeah and what the next one in line will be
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Georgia]Jim Anderson[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    It's a long slippery slope. . Soon enough you're the photographic version of the old lady with 2000 cats.

Ask me how I know.
    Oh yeah.

Started out with 35, wen to 4x5, back to 35mm for years (keeping the 4x5 of course). Then one fateful trip to Japam.. Found a c220, used, in Shinjuku...
    65mm lens, yowzer. Well, I nor have 37 cameras (two with meters, the original Nikon and a Fujica I bought to mount a very nice Russian portrait lens that arrived on my doorstop one day). All the rest? the 3x4's (six in number) the 5x7s (2), a bunch of Nettars for my every day haul around cameras, the C33, the 80mm, 135mm and 180mm lens to complete the system, the Yashica 635 (Great camera), etc, etc...

I don't have aproblem, I know I don't. Remember, the first step is recognizing you have aproblem, I don't want to be cured.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had an inkling that I had a problem. But after contemplating this thread and counting up my cameras, I think it's undniable. I'm going to shed a few in the coming weeks . . . so I can make room for new ones. As much as I like my C330's (yes, multiple), the new Hassie is what I reach for now . . . along with the Rolleicords (yes . . . multiple) and the Nettars (yes . . . [gulp] . . . multiple). I think I need to unsubscribe from eBay and Paypal . . .

I used to keep my vices limited to caffeine and beer. Ahhh, the good old days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first camera was a well-used Spartus #4 (6x9 folder, no lens to speak of... the Holga of folders). I was 8 and it was 1962 and I didn't know better - - I thought all negatives were large enough to simply contact print. From there I moved through a host of 35mm cameras, doing some decent work, but I have always come back to MF. Nowadays, I reach for my C220 or C3 first, then think about something else second (not surprisingly, the second choice is an Agfa/Ansco 120 folder or my Zorki-4 RF).

I included this background because I have never been able to decide if it is MF that I gravitate to solely because of its qualities (all described well the posts above) or if it is because it was my first format and there is comfort in it.

My son now shoots 4x5 instead of 35mm and when we go out together, I'm now the faster of the two of us with my 120 - - not that it is a race, as we have discovered...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't have a problem. I still have only 4 35mm-cameras, 9 MF and 11 LF.

Hang on - is that the postman?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin