Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,472   Online: 1081

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

My very first MF photo

I've been busy but finally got this image uploaded. Winter (for here) scene near my house of an old cottonwood tree. I couldn't step back (fence behind me) so I used the 35mm lens and T-Max 400 in T-Max developer. I made an 11x14 just to see the difference with 35mm negatives. My Nikon gear may well be up for sale soon. This camera isn't much heavier than the Nikon but the difference in quality is astounding. Unfortunately most other photos on this roll were ruined because I was trying to figure out how to use the leaf shutter lens with the Sunpak 622, which I eventually did and it works fine, too. At least black and white film and developer are cheap.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations on your first MF shot!

There's a couple moments in my photographic "career" that really stand out in my memory: the first time I switched off program mode on my 35mm, determined exposure myself ...and it WORKED; and the first time I enlarged my first 6x7 neg. Like you said, it was astounding.

Enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The thing that shocked me with my first M/F camera ( a Yashica 124G ) was that a fairly inexpensive camera could blow my expensive 35mm gear ( all Nikon at that time ) out of the water for quality, and I could use fast film and still retain the the image quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a long slippery slope. MF seems good now, but soon you'll realize what a 4x5 LF negative would be like. From there, it's a short leap to 8x10. Realizing 8x10 is too heavy, you'll by a 5x7. Forgetting how heavy the 8x10 was, you'll start thinking about banquet cameras. Next thing you know an 8x20 will show up at the door. It only weighs a little more than an 8x10. Realizing this you'll decide you'd use the 8x10 if it was just a LITTLE lighter, so you buy another 8x10. Still too heavy, you'll realize MF wasn't so bad and buy a Hasselblad because if you're going to shoot "small" negs you may as well use the "best". Realizing how heavy the Hassie is you'll start to buy old folder MF cameras that you can slip into your pocket. Soon enough you're the photographic version of the old lady with 2000 cats.

Ask me how I know.

Congrats, though. MF was what made me really love photography. It IS just about the perfect combination of neg size vs camera size.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Skip the LF but yup, that pretty much how I went, A Zeiss Folders and a Holgas. The big plus for negs larger than 35 is how easy the are to print. You can get good negs with 35 with some work and yup they are a pleasure when you do but the MF's are a doddle. Less dust better range, little grain. Welcome aboard, now you are going to be buying ton's of film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Congrats! You never forget your first time!
    If you want to go bigger, try some 100asa stuff. I go up to 20x24 and am very happy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To my mind Medium format is the best compromise between image quality, and portability as Terence says that's why I have never been tempted to go into large format, I don't own a truss ! .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Congratulations Doug - what a beautiful photo, and on your first roll, it often takes me a few rolls to get something I really like, enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations, welcome to MF .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    To my mind Medium format is the best compromise between image quality, and portability as Terence says that's why I have never been tempted to go into large format, I don't own a truss ! .
    Bentley, look at the watch . . .
    You're getting sleepy . . . sleepy . . . sleepy . . .
    A 4x5 MPP . . . only weighs . . . as much as a Hassie . . . with a 150mm lens . . .
    When I snap my fingers . . . you'll wake up . . . and proceed directly to eBay . . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin