Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,705   Posts: 1,548,484   Online: 854

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Ammons
    I have used the RZ67 at 1/30th handheld with good results.
    With MLU I suppose ?

Bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins
    For tripod mounting get a solid tripod, preferably with wooden legs as they absorb vibrations better than metal legs. .
    True. A weak tripod can be worse than a handheld shot !
    Bertram

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    The RB 67 seems to have very good mirror dampening. I have not heard the same about the Pentax. .
    That is what another friend told me too, at this point the RB seems highly professional. Worth a thought, it's so huge tho..................

Bertram

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No mlu. Just squated down, braced and shot.

Here are links to two shots. I think the first was 1/60th and the second was 1/30th or visa versa.

I am sure it would have been better on a tripod, but I was just playing around and trying slow speeds that day.

The RZ is really smooth. I also think the 6# camera weight helps dampen things a bit.

The white streak was from a ding on the lens element/

http://www.pbase.com/tammons/image/56925121

http://www.pbase.com/tammons/image/56925355

Quote Originally Posted by rfshootist
    With MLU I suppose ?

Bertram

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Appel
    I have a contrarion view I suppose. I have used an sl-66 and kiev k60, and can handhold both down to about 1/60 with decent, not stellar results. I think it has more to do with my ability than mirror shake.
    Bruce,
    in my understanding steady hands ( just another prob) don't help when it comes to mirror vibes ? What helps only is a perfect dampening of the mirror and maybe a bit it helps to connect the camera to a dampening mass , the own beerbelly for example. I suppose not much effect tho , if at all any.

That means of course even on a tripod the use of MLU is in principle unavoidable . At this point my question could have been more precisely, I should have asked what the experiences with the mirror dampening of these cameras is, tripod and MLU for me are a necessary combo.

The Mamyia RB/RZ seem to have a superior design, I remember my local photog shooting his portrait work in the studio always without MLU !!
    And his photos had been sharp enuff even for a vibe-paranoid person like me
    The noise has nothing to say it seems, as Paul Sorensen said.

bertram

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Ammons
    Troy ,

Knowing the gap of scan and print and translating this in print or slide quality I'd say it is really convincing !!!

bertram
    Thoughtful ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Worth a rental for sure. Its just a heavy system.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wonder how you really assess mirror slap? I supsect, and again this is just speculation, that something simply sounding and "feeling " dampened may not be. I guess my thought is that perceived mirror slap and shake may be very different from actual mirror slap and shake.
    A few years back I taped a laser pointer to a hot shoe adapter. I put it on a camera on a tripod, pointed the pointer towards a wall and fired. You could see how much it bounced around. The problem with this technique is that again, a lot of the action in a bouncing slr is happening after the shutter has closed, and you couldn't tell that by the laser.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did that some weeks ago. Pointer-mirror-wall~20meters. Tested on longer shuttersspeeds I do believe the vidration occurs under exposure. I had the dot mowe approx 15-20mm caused by the mirror and approx 5mm caused by the shutter(first curtain). Never seen any blur caused by shutter induced vibration on film though. I think a firm grip wil kill vibration better than a mediocre tripod/-head. Offcource it looks like a lot more on faster shutterspeeds where you really get some action from the mirror going both up and down in an instant.
    cheers S°ren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rfshootist
    Ladies and gentlemen,

A friend owns a Pentax 6X7, the SLR type, not the RB mag back type. He tells me that he cannnot shoot this beast free hand with more than 1/250 sec, if at all. MLU and tripod almost obligatory.

I think about a ARAX 60 or Pentacon 6, maybe a Pentax 6X7 too, depending on how the budget situation will develeop ;-) Simply would like to have wider lens for MF than my TLR has.
    If mirror slap is that much of an issue, I think you should look at Mamiya 6 and 7. I have the 7 and I have handheld at 1/15 with good results, and at 1/2 sec bracing against a rail with OK results. The shutter in the 7 is the most silent and vibration-free I've used. It's good there's a "shutter fired"-indicator in the viewfinder or I'd often miss that the shutter did.

I don't know what you want the camera for, but I'd say the Mamiya 6 and 7 are the lightest, smallest and sharpest MF cameras out there that work good in low light without tripod. The only major drawbacks is inherent in the RF design itself, not the camera, ie parallax error, limited close focusing, not the best for long lenses etc. And of course, it's expensive!

*h

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin