Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,489   Posts: 1,542,925   Online: 872

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh yes offcource we'll throw in a free bottle of Rodinal
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    Well true as that is things do sum up and if the neg is blurred nothing can be done to rescue that shot except making a virtue out of the unsharpness. Allways aim to have the best possible neg to work with no matter how poor your enlarger, -lens or whatever is at the time being.
    Cheers Søren
    Or in other words if the neg is blurred from shake you can forget the rest of the chain.
    As most amateurs i haven't really learned photography as properly and systematically as a professional has to learn it, I had to teach myself. Tho I heard some old farts often say a tripod should be welded at the bottom plate of each camera I kept this always as the usual exaggeration of some old stuffed shirts.

First when I watched the results of a lab experiment, which made clear how close you can come with a 35 camera to MF (concerning the pure resolution performance only) if there is zero-vibe , then I understood what the old wise men were talking about.

Tho one has of course to consider this all in the relation to our limits of perception it is a fact that the slightest motion of the camera influences the resolution.
    Not beeing a stickler for principles I think one should keep this in mind if one wants sharp photos instead of quite sharp photos.

Especially among the 35mm RF shooters there is that fuss about the steady hand and all those techniques of holding and breathing and what else kinda tricks you can get sharp results with from 1/4 sec.

Watching the results then you see the guy has no clue what a sharp photo is,
    and if you say THAT the answer will be that "of course" the photo can't look like 1/250 but for him it is "worth to keep" :-) Worth to keep for him was sharp ?

The lack of linguistic precision nirrors the lack of knowledge perfectly here

If one really wants to see what the $2500 RF lens can achieve technically the the most dumb beanbag on a car roof is better than any dirty old trick from the shooting range. And sometimes it is satsfying to to see that as a photog you still can't buy quality, you have to produce it !

Thanks again for all input, as I see it now a C330 could be the solution I think, I am a TLR nuts anyway

Bertram
    "Lord let it rain a bit extra money, I need a Rolleiflex Wide !!! "
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This has been an informative thread.

The blad can be detached from the tripod, and using the pre-release isn't mandatory

I already cheat by not using the D5 focussing aid every time.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Should have added, this must be why I don't think the Sinar is much slower to use than the blad.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rfshootist
    Or in other words if the neg is blurred from shake you can forget the rest of the chain.
    As most amateurs i haven't really learned photography as properly and systematically as a professional has to learn it, I had to teach myself. Tho I heard some old farts often say a tripod should be welded at the bottom plate of each camera I kept this always as the usual exaggeration of some old stuffed shirts.
    Thats about the conclusion I would draw from my experiment. The conection between camera/tripodhead/tripod is far more important than the actual weight of the tripod. Nodifference between a 2,6kg and a 6kg mannfrotto tripod.
    regards Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    Thats about the conclusion I would draw from my experiment. The conection between camera/tripodhead/tripod is far more important than the actual weight of the tripod. Nodifference between a 2,6kg and a 6kg mannfrotto tripod.
    regards Søren
    Absolutely. If the camera and the tripod (ball-)head together unite to swinging system the legs of the tripod can be as stiff as a gun barrel , the pics will be blurred anyway. Worst are the long fast telezooms, even a bit wind can get a prob.
    Perfect the monopods with a large round platform, used without a ballhead tho.

bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Rollei SL 66 I almost never hand hold. I placed a glass of water on the camera while on the tripod and released the shutter. Lots of waves in the water. Mirror slap. After releasing the mirror first and then the shutter, absoloutely no waves. I think it all depends on what you are willing to accept. There is obviously movement with the Rollei from the mirror - how much and how it would affect a negative seems a matter for experimentation.

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Appel
    I have a contrarion view I suppose. I have used an sl-66 and kiev k60, and can handhold both down to about 1/60 with decent, not stellar results. I think it has more to do with my ability than mirror shake.
    Perhaps it is your ability, but the SL66 always had the least amount of mirror vibration/slap of any medium format SLR. It was renowned for being hand-holdable, even though I almost always use mine on a tripod. But I have seen many (Germans particularly) traipsing around Europe as tourists with an SL66 slung around their necks and no tripod.

As for the Pentax, having owned and used them extensively, I discovered that the mirror slap, while pretty bad, doesn't really affect sharpness so much. It is really more mirror recoil or bounce, which occurs after the shutter has closed. While I have occasionally used it handheld with decent results (not below 1/125th) it's far better to use it on the tripod. The 6X7 that I do use handheld successfully down to 1/60th is the Fuji 6X7 rangefinder. There's no mirror to slap, and the leaf shutter, while noisy, makes hand-holding very possible. I sometimes carry a monopod, and this helps brace it for use down to 1/30th, if it's not too windy, but generally anything below 1/60th, I want the tripod.

Larry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bertram, I've been using the Pentax 67II for some time, and yes you can really feel/hear the mirror slap. But it usually doesn't impede the photos, I've succesfully handheld shots of 1/60s (with a 55mm lens) and sometimes when well braced with elbows on a table or leaning to a tree/lamppost even using 1/30s.

When shooting a 135mm lens, I am able to hold 1/125s and sometimes 1/60s (with the same as above).

But as a general rule, if not using the tripod, I press the camera rather hard to my face, have my elbows stuck above the hips, and legs well apart for better stability. I would not be afraid of holding the Beast... :-)

Hope this helps...

Jiri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm surprised with the SL66 water test that you don't see ripples with the mirror locked up. Its my experience so far with mine that the mirror is very well dampened, and that most of the racket/vibration comes after the exposure when the mirror returns. (recall, unlike many of its contemporaries, this camera has an instant return mirror)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin