Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,448   Online: 859

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing that no one has addressed in this thread is the affect of the shutter. These larger medium format SLRs with their largers shutters (particularly those with the in camera focal plane and not as much the in lens leaf shutters) increase vibration and should contribute to the loss of sharpness and add to the woes of mirror induced vibrations.

Rich
    Last edited by naturephoto1; 05-09-2006 at 09:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a Bronica SQ-A, and haven't had any major problems with mirror slap except at 1/8 and 1/15 with a flimsy tripod. I seems to be a fairly well dampened body. Just judging by how they feel in the hand, both the Bronica SQ-Ai and the Hasselblad 500 series have a lot more kick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's something that has not been addressed thus far and that's WHEN the mirror slap occurs. I shot a Bornica S2a in the seventies that had horrendous mirror slap. If you placed a US quarter on the body, slap would throw it up in the air a few millimeters. Never an unsharp shot at 1/2 second. The slap was on the mirror's return.
    Russ

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I have found occasionally with my Kiev 60 is that the camera is so heavy that shear inertia tends to reduce vibrations. I have shot it handheld (bracing my elbow against my knee) at 1/125 with the 250mm Jupiter 36 without trouble. The combined weight of the camera and lens dampens most vibrations, in a way you would never find with 35mm.

Of course, I've been known to shoot the Speed Graphic hand held, so I may be more tolerant.

BTW, the fit and finish on Gevorg's Arax cameras is superb.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Young
    There's something that has not been addressed thus far and that's WHEN the mirror slap occurs.
    Russ
    This is undoubtedly a factor, but only on cameras that have automatic mirror return. I gather Pentax 67 does, but Hasselblads, Bronica SQs and Mamiya 67s don't.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psvensson
    This is undoubtedly a factor, but only on cameras that have automatic mirror return. I gather Pentax 67 does, but Hasselblads, Bronica SQs and Mamiya 67s don't.
    Yes, the Pentax's mirror does return automatically with a second slap, but that is not usually a problem :-). The first slap is just before opening the shutter.

As to the shutter induced vibration, when handholding I don't find it a problem, because this one goes INTO your hand as you're holding the camera. And your (or at least my) hand is quite good at dampening this. [in contrast to the mirror slap, which tries to move the camera up from your hands.] The shutter vibration is more of a problem on a tripod especially in portrait orientation when the camera is way off the axis of the tripod. I've found that with times of (1/30s) 1/15s to 1/2s it's better not to use a cable release, but hold the camera in both hands instead.

And yes, the sheer weight of the camera is enough to let you handhold what would be impossible/difficult with a feather-weight 35mm...

Jiri

Shooter
    Medium Format

Another solution?

As someone about to become an RB user, I have acquired a dual cable release. The claim is that it will send up the mirror first and then drop the shutter. The way I see it, if that is true my FOV would only be interrupted for a few seconds and the vibration from the shutter in the lens would be minimal.

Now, I have modified a grip to accept this release instead of the provided button and lever at the bottom. Has anyone had any experiences with this sort of cable release and the RB?
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Medium Format

???

So, no one has any experience with the mirror-up cable release doing handheld? Tell me it ain't so...
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin