Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,083   Online: 987

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I agree that this discussion has been "hybridised" -
    but since it started analog, is of interest to analog users, and so far ends analog, I would prefer to keep it where it is.

Just my opinion (as a moderator).

And no mud slinging! I think this is great! (although I usually throw the first mud ball...)

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    Trying that would take this thread into the product availability forum since there are not that many films in 220.
    Cheers S°ren
    Fuji makes pretty much every professional film in 220 rolls, and Kodak has some choice also. I may be true though that your local dealer does not have that in stock.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog
    I know 35mm is the most versatile format. Should I even consider other formats if I never go for prints larger then 13" x 19"?
    Once you enlarge or scan beyond around 4 or 5X, you start see the difference as lens sharpness goes soft, while tonal softness crumbles into the sharpness of grain.

If you start with a very good film+lens combination that yields 80 line pairs/mm and enlarge by 5x, you're down to 13 line pairs/mm. It's still sharp, but that's about it. Beyond that, quality and luminosity really start to degrade.

So you can get a nice 5x7 from a very good 35mm negative. On 6x7 film, you can get around 11x14 and still have a respectable image. On 4x5, it's bigger still.

This is all based on the assumption that people will walk right up to your photos and look closely - but if they're meant to appear on a billboard, the numbers are all different.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin