Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,029   Online: 892

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anyone know anything about a CORFIELD 67 SHIFT CAMERA?

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about Corfield cameras, and in particular about the #67 shift camera?

How do they compare to say the Plaubel and Silvestri shift models for landscape use?

I currently use a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II but it is too heavy and doesn't have shift (I know I can get shift Lenses but they are rare in my price range!)

Thanks

Brendan
    [FONT=Ariel]Brendan F Sforcina[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Magpie: adj, of or like a magpie; characterized by the habit of hoarding ascribed to magpies.[/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't know the Corfield, would imagine the main criteria for comparison would be price (prices of focusing mounts etc. can be shattering). As you have Mamiya RZ67, I imagine you would like to use the film magazines on the shift camera, too.

In general, shift cameras are made for architectural work with wide-angle lenses - their one virtue is less weight and bulk than a view camera, their biggest disadvantage is the very high cost (very few available second-hand). Shift movements are of very little use in landscape work - as has been remarked on recent threads:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/24484-how-important-rear-movements.html
    tilt movements (front and back) are the #1 priority, with swing back a distant second.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Take a look at http://www.gandolficameras.com/

They have a second-hand one for sale now, and are familiar with the cameras (it used to be Gandolfi-Corfield).

I know nothing about the camera though - I find it easier to use a "proper" LF camera.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, Brendan, although I know nothing about the particular camera you mention, I am unfortunately old enough to remember the Corfield Perriflex cameras a unique range of reflex cameras using not a flapping mirror, but a periscope that retracts at the moment of exposure that was a brilliant idea back in the fiftys of Ken Corfield .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is one currently on ebay which you may be looking at. All I can add is that the 47mm Schneider Super Angulon on this camera is great in my experience with the same lens on a Brooks Plaubel. Very sharp although there is a decent amount of vignetting on the sides and corners when covering 6x9. Maybe 1/2 stop. Thats why there is also available a very expensive center filter for this lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found this about the 6x7 Corfield camera:

http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac....eras/page7.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thats definately a Rb67 rotating back and a RB67 pro s film holder, attached to the front metal plate assembly.

Even looks like the screen is a modified RB67 of some sort.

It is interesting for sure.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin