Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,024   Online: 1065

Shooter
    Medium Format

MAMIYA Press - Rangefinder adjustment

I'm just getting to grips with a Mamiya Press Super 23. I have a Ground Glass for tripod shots, but have been thinking of using it hand held. However, I find that when trying to focus on distant objects , the "ghost image" never quite gets there. Does anyone know how difficult/ expensive this is to fix?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Aha, another Mamiya Press user! There is some old information online-try this link: http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/mamiyauniv.html (about 1/4 way down page, a post about rangefinder adjustment) There may be other info online also. I have two Mamiya Press cameras, a Super 23 and a standard, and the rangefinders in both are slightly "off". I have found in actual practice that this makes no difference in the sharpness of my photos, since I usually stop down and this negates the effect of my slightly inaccurate rangefinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can 1 of 2 problems, the rangefinder itself needs to adjusted or the cam on the lens may need to be adjusted. I have a Universal with 3 lens, my 150 needs to adjusted, the 65 and 100 are ok. Unless you have workout part it is not too expensive to have either the camera or the lens adjusted .if you have access to a camera repair tech who has a shop manual.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just a quick correction, the 100 and 65 have fixed cams, the 150 has a spring and screw for adjustment. So if your 100 or 90 is out of alinement then it must be the rangefinder in the body.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To Adjust the Rangefinder on a Mamiya Super 23

Locate the 2 screws on the front bezel. One on top of S and the other on top of the A.
    Unscrew the 2 screws and lift the bezel from the body upwards.
    The bezel is keyed to the top of the camera.

Once the bezel is off, there is a screw recessed in the middle of the housing. You need to unscrew this screw.
    Now remove the 2 screw from the side and one in the back.

The rangefinder 100 150 250 selector screw (shiny and chromed) is the last screw off.
    The rangefinder housing now lifts off.

Proceed to give the mirrors etc at good dusting.
    You will need to remove 1 screw to access the lens box.
    I gave the actual lenses a good clean but left the partially silvered split mirrors alone since i don't know if i will damage it.

The alignment procedure is really quite simple now that you have clean optics.
    Immediately behind the "Made" Made in Japan housing is a small adjustment screw.

Place the camera on a tripod and focus the lens at 3 Meters. Lens barallel will now be at 3 Meters. Target to film plane is at 3 meters.
    Either screw in the adjustment screw or out to obtain a perfect image in the rangefinder.
    Check the inifinity next with at object at 300Meters .

Repeat above till both 3 meters and infinity is sweet.
    If you have the ground glass focusing screen. You can check that they all match up.

Reassemble and go shoot a roll to test.

Shoud be sweet! The optics are exceptional. At least when all is in focus and shots for mine on a tripod at F5.6 onwards are something to behold.

Enjoy your Mamiya "Godzilla".

Kittyhawk

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin