Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,338   Online: 973

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hasselblad Prisms

I have been using a Hasselblad 501CM for a few years with the waist level viewfinder, an have come to the conclusion that I need a prism viewfinder for my landscape work. I looked at Keh.com and it looks like there are many choices available. I'm looking for some insight to help me make a choice.

Is a 90 degree prism more suitable for landscape work than a 45 degree prism? Since I have physical limitations, I would like to keep the weight down. I assume that the non-metered prisms weigh less than metered prisms.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a PM45 with my 503 and love the angle. It keeps the camera a bit below eye level which I like.

The 90 would have to be at eye level or you would have to bend down (more than 45) to use it.

As far as weight, I do not think the metered prisms weigh more then the non-metered prisms. I could be wrong but I do not think so.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do also use a PM 45 and like it over the waist level finder. Both have a little bit of a disadvantage if you are on the shorter side like i am when shooting people. For landscape the 45 is great with or without a meter.

Jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used a non-metered NC2 prism for many years with my 500CM with excellent results. Last year I bought a PME 5. I have decided the meter is not precise enough for my needs since it is non TTL. It simply reads the light in front of the prism, and that is not what my Pentax 67II TTL does! If I had it to do all over, I would have stuck with my original NC2 prism since I am back using my Pentax spot meter with the Hasselblad. Just a thought.
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    """It simply reads the light in front of the prism""'--HMMM !! I may be mistake but isn't (Hassy PME or PME 5) it a center weighted meter read off the focus screen. I think they are fine for what they are but I too use a Pentax digital spot for tricky lighting or exclusive in B&W. I'll take the metered version and keep my spot meter handy !!
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also use the 45° prism, and find the angle more convenient. The angled prism also avoids the interference between the 90 and the backs (some models). Although I bought the metered prism as a backup, I later felt it was a waste of money, and went through batteries too quickly.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JosBurke
    """It simply reads the light in front of the prism""'--HMMM !! I may be mistake but isn't (Hassy PME or PME 5) it a center weighted meter read off the focus screen. I think they are fine for what they are but I too use a Pentax digital spot for tricky lighting or exclusive in B&W. I'll take the metered version and keep my spot meter handy !!
    JosBurke, you may be right about the meter reading the light off the screen and not in front of the prism, but I still do not like it. I find it not to be as precise as I would like. I thought it would be more convenient, but I ended up returning to my handheld metering method.
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I also use a 45 degree prism, although mine is a Kiev knockoff. It has a non functioning meter in it that I would not have used anyway, but like others, I suspect the meter does not add much weight. The Kiev prism is a brick, and if you are concerned about carrying extra weight around you might want to reconsider staying with the WL finder. Like most things in life, its a tradeoff: in anything but gloom, I can see my image better through the finder, and the 45 degree prism allows the camera to be low enough so I can read the f stop and shutter settings on the lens. Although I've never used a 90 degree prism, I think I would not like the viewing angle as well as a 45. Now if I only read Russian so I could understand the instructions...

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a NC2 on one body and a Kiev copy on the other. I can't tell the difference between them, and the knockoff was on $13.00 on ebay.

Any of you that have used the NC-2 and later Hasselblad 45 degree models notice any difference in the viewing?

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The NC-2 is less bulky in shape and slightly lighter than other Hasselblad 45 degree prisms. Mine as many or all of these was made by Novoflex in W. Germany. It provides 3x mag but eye relief is not so great and it can be a little difficult seeing all the edges without moving your eye around a little. The later 45 degree prisims provide 2.5x mag and supposedly provide better eye relief. The NC-s's go for between $40-$100 on ebay which is a great deal and a third to half the price of the later prisims. I actually never use mine as I'm used to looking at the reversed image of the standard flip up hood...and I also love how light and elegant it makes the Blad. My next purchase will be a split Rangefinder/Micorpism screen which will make focusing much easier regardless of using the standard hood or a prisim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin