Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,550   Online: 1164

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: YashicaMat 124G

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PamelaHL
    When I was considering a Yashicamat 124 [which I purchased and really like excepting the poor visibility in the WLF in bright light outside]
    The ground glass on mine was so dim I replaced it with a Maxwell. It's a world of difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And what ARE its limitations Paul?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Davor
    And what ARE its limitations Paul?
    5) Yashica was never popular for sending cameras to the moon.
    4) Yashica has fewer letters than Hasselblad.
    3) Yashica doesn't require giving up your firstborn child to purchase.
    2) Yashica doesn't support the use of Zeiss glass.
    and the number one weakness is:
    1) Yashica doesn't make cameras anymore.

This is all BS as my 124G cranks out very sharp photos. My complaint isn't the camera, it's the 6x6 format.
    Chris
    p.s. I wanted to add that a Kennedy never got drunk and crashed a Yashica, but I don't know of them ever wrecking a Hassy either, so it was left out. Just because we didn't hear about it doesn't mean it never happened.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just remembered something, was that a Jashica-mat in "Big Mommas house" in the boat scene?

Don't know why I remembered that, but that was the first time I considered switching to MF. I thought, oh come on, if a mum can have MF to take pictures of her family, I can do it for my "advanced amateur" work

And right now, I'm ten days from purchasing my first MF camera, it isn't much, It's going to be a 4-element seagull, will do some repairs and adjustments to it to correct its inherent flaws, and caution with the shutter issue, and It might just work like an old Yashicamat, exept smelling like new.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The difference between a Yashicamat and a Hasselblad especially around the wedding croud is Chrome. Yashicamats are too black. No self respecting wedding photog charging $2200 would ever get caught dead looking down a chimney. Chrome is where it's at.

At work I have an old Hassy 503 motor in a case with it's 3 lenses. I threw it on the junkpile the other day because the film backs fit so loosely it can no longer be trusted. It let me down once too often. I'd always considered it in the same class of mechanical things as a Mercedes 220 with a column shift 4 speed. It may have gone to the moon and back before I got it though since it does belong to a function of the US Govt.

I will admit that I enjoy the sound the hassy motor makes. It's revolution sounds rather like a starter motor on a '53 Chevy.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    At work I have an old Hassy 503 motor in a case with it's 3 lenses. I threw it on the junkpile the other day because the film backs fit so loosely it can no longer be trusted. It let me down once too often. I'd always considered it in the same class of mechanical things as a Mercedes 220 with a column shift 4 speed. It may have gone to the moon and back before I got it though since it does belong to a function of the US Govt.

I will admit that I enjoy the sound the hassy motor makes. It's revolution sounds rather like a starter motor on a '53 Chevy.
    Don't tell me they've let you replace the Hasselblad with a LF camera...

Lachlan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It appears that I have fallen into a snake pit of Yashica-loving, Hasselblad-bashing, non-wedding-shooting-for-a-loving, argumentative "photographers". I said that the 124G was a nice little camera, but if any of you think that it can handle the daily rigors of commercial photographic life, then you are in a fantasy world where you believe yourselves to be photographers who are watching real photographers through the looking glass. Jump out of the rabbit hole and take a few hundred actuations, or perhaps a few thousand, per week (day?), and see who the clear winner is. It's the same difference as between a Lincoln LS and a crappy Japanese import. The import may look good to a rave crowd at a street race. But, if your family, your house, your college loan payments, your car payment, your daughter's dental health all depend on what you bring home from photography, then you don't shoot weddings with a 124G! Get real; get a real photography job; and a real camera!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paulownian
    It appears that I have fallen into a snake pit of Yashica-loving, Hasselblad-bashing, non-wedding-shooting-for-a-loving, argumentative "photographers". I said that the 124G was a nice little camera, but if any of you think that it can handle the daily rigors of commercial photographic life, then you are in a fantasy world where you believe yourselves to be photographers who are watching real photographers through the looking glass. Jump out of the rabbit hole and take a few hundred actuations, or perhaps a few thousand, per week (day?), and see who the clear winner is. It's the same difference as between a Lincoln LS and a crappy Japanese import. The import may look good to a rave crowd at a street race. But, if your family, your house, your college loan payments, your car payment, your daughter's dental health all depend on what you bring home from photography, then you don't shoot weddings with a 124G! Get real; get a real photography job; and a real camera!
    How long has your 'blad spent in repair shops? Why don't you get a piece of real Japanese functional engineering like a Mamiya C330 - built like a tank and with some very fine lenses - oh, and they're currently selling secondhand in the UK for about £200 in excellent condition!

Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, but you still haven't mentioned one argument for the drastic difference between images from a Yashica and a Hassy.
    I'm not trying to make a fight here, I'm just being currious, because you seem to have both, so I want to know what is this drastic difference?
    Is it sharpness, contrast, what is it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get real; get a real photography job; and a real camera!
    Some of us went and got a real job instead... and a real camera!
    Chris

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin