Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,783   Online: 732

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: YashicaMat 124G

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"...(1)[/COLOR]negative to be crystal sharp and softened at my decision. [COLOR=DarkRed](2)[/COLOR]I use multiple lenses on a single body, and [COLOR=DarkRed](3)[/COLOR]multiple backs. I can't stop shooting to reload in many cases."

I don't care about the damn name, but I must trust the tool to do it's job. Just as I wouldn't use the wrong tool in maintenance, I don't use the wrong tool in my photography business. Yes, Ed, the 124G takes crisp photos, it is even a joy to use, but do you honestly believe that it can handle the rigors of commercial work? Sometimes, I wonder if there is even a camera out there that will. But, IMHO, I use a Hasselblad, instead of the 124G, or the Bronica, or even the Mamiya products, because that is what I have found to be the best tool for my work. I don't know what else you are asking for, here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well thanks paul, that was what I wanted to know.

I assume the advantages a hassie would have over a yashica would be the same kind of advantages a 135 SLR would have over a point and shoot, though that doesn't mean a 35mm point and shoot couldn't make good pictures if it had a nice lens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes, Ed. You are correct. A Nikon FE, for example, has it's advantage in some situations, while at other times, a simple throw-away may be the best tool to create, or exhibit, your vision. Recognizing that fact is what makes a professional, a professional, and not an opinionated user with a preference for one tool over another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, exept I assume there is more difference between a plastic lens on a disposable and a Nikkor lens, then there is between a Zeiss Planar and a Yashica lens

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Uh. Paul, You're sure full of yourself with all your double professional statements. I also make my living in photography. A pretty good one in fact. And I do know what I'm talking about. I'm happy you've found a good tool in your Hasselblad. Whoopee good for you. Your tone throughout this discussion has been arrogant at best. Demeaning at worst. If I had to shift gears and shoot weddings I'd probably look at high end digital. Thank goodness I don't.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I looked at your work Jim, and you do do good photos. The rest of what you said ... well, I disregarded it. I don't give a damn wether you like me, respect me, hate me, or forget me. I expressed an opinion. On the other hand, I have worked in photography for 40+ years, and I know what I'm talking about also. I didn't start doing weddings and portraits until the past ten years, or so. I shoot with just about every format there is - so yes, Jim, I'm arrogant becaue I've been there. Don't read my postings if you can't handle another opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, we are talking about the expectation a client has equipment-wise vs the actual results?

I'll tell you this, even a top of the line dSLR does not have the impression a MF SLR like a 'Blad brings to a job like a wedding or portrait shoot. It really depends on the type of work. E.g. what client would care what equipment a nature photographer uses when they only see the results and play no role in the capture process?

There is no question in my mind a TLR is up to the job quality-wise PROVIDED you can live with a normal lens and close focusing limitations.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by b1bmsgt
    I also mave a Yashica Mat and a Yashica D sitting on the shelf, but I haven't tried them out yet.

Sounds like a touch of GAS, doesn't it?

Russ
    Russ,

Sure does! Ain't it grand?

I have a Yashica D that I dearly love, but it drives me bonkers with the decoupled film advance and shutter cocking lever. It is sooooo easy to forget where you are and either double expose or skip a frame, so you have to get a system going.

I try to not advance the film after I take a picture, so that I know I MUST wind the film, set the exposure (important point here -- the shutter speeds may not be accurate if you cock the shutter first and then change speeds!) and then cock the shutter.

This photo Hardscrabble Park was shot on my Yashica D and I think it looks fine.

Although I have a "system", I still forget where I am , so YMMV.

Frank

Shooter
    Medium Format

How soon they forget

Quote Originally Posted by paulownian
    I looked at your work Jim, and you do do good photos. The rest of what you said ... well, I disregarded it. I don't give a damn wether you like me, respect me, hate me, or forget me. I expressed an opinion. On the other hand, I have worked in photography for 40+ years, and I know what I'm talking about also. I didn't start doing weddings and portraits until the past ten years, or so. I shoot with just about every format there is - so yes, Jim, I'm arrogant becaue I've been there. Don't read my postings if you can't handle another opinion.
    Well Paul, if you have been around that long, then certainly you must remember that in the 1960s and into the 1970s, the TLR was the workhorse of both portrait and wedding photographers. Rolleis and Yashicas. Two of them during wedding assignments. Yup. SLR did not begin to enter the picture in most places until later.

It's a matter of taste. Look at Mamiya's advertising. "Set yourself apart from the rest with professional looking equipment. You have made the grade, now show it." Yup. I just got me one too. But my money is made in 4x5, so MF moneymaking is moot to me. Hassy, Mamiya, Yashica. It's the photographer that makes the difference...
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Yashica D that I dearly love, but it drives me bonkers with the decoupled film advance and shutter cocking lever. It is sooooo easy to forget where you are and either double expose or skip a frame, so you have to get a system going.

I try to not advance the film after I take a picture, so that I know I MUST wind the film, set the exposure (important point here -- the shutter speeds may not be accurate if you cock the shutter first and then change speeds!) and then cock the shutter.
    Hi Frank,

I agree. My first foray into MF was with a Ciro-flex (way back in January!!) and I got a lot of double exposures and blank frames until I worked out a system of my own. I got to where I would keep repeating to myself "wind, then shoot...wind, then shoot...). Then I got the 124G. It was so nice to get away from the red window that a few weeks ago I sold my main Ciro-flex, although I still have one that I am going to repaint and releather for my permanent collection.
    I am now firmly hooked on MF, so much so that I hesitate to shoot much with my Electro 35's or Pentax's. I'm afraid I will be disappointed with the results, I'm so spoiled by MF sharpness.

Russ
    R.L. Sisco
    MSgt, USAF, Retired

Do you have an
    Electro 35 or other
    Yashica that you
    would like Refurbished?
    Check out:
    www.camerarefurb.com

My Gallery

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin