Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,321   Online: 979

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: YashicaMat 124G

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

YashicaMat 124G

Here are some pictures from my $22.00 YashicaMat 124G!

Got it on eBay the other day as a parts/repair camera. The ad said that the film advance was inconsistant. I decided to buy this one and try to fix it. At the very least, I would have a nice display model if I couldn't get it to work right. I had always wanted one of these since back in the early 70s when I ran the Photo Department in a now-defunct New England department store chain. (Caldor) We sold them, and every so often I would pick up the display model and play with it. (Maybe that's why I got fired...)

Anyway, it turned out that the takeup reel in the camera was worn and caused the advance mechanism to move erratically and stop the advance lever at a different point every time. I put in a newer reel and everything looked OK. Ran a roll of film through it and the frame spacing was Beautiful!!

Looks like I got me a bargain...

Russ

PS My scanner leaves a little to be desired... The prints look a lot better. I think my Ciro-flex is sharper, though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 124G 1.jpg   124G 2.jpg   124G 3.jpg  
    R.L. Sisco
    MSgt, USAF, Retired

Do you have an
    Electro 35 or other
    Yashica that you
    would like Refurbished?
    Check out:
    www.camerarefurb.com

My Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are wonderful cameras. I've owned three and still have the third one. The first one I bought in Viet Nam in 70' and used it regularly on assignment as a photographer for the 25th Inf. Div. It took a heck of a beating in the field but worked perfectly every time. I sold that one shortly before I left the country and bought another while stationed in Germany. I sold that one when I left the Army in 72'. The last one I bought in the last year and did not fair as well. The lister on ebay used a photo from another listing and did not mention that the lens had fungus between the layers. I ended up buying a Rolleicord 1V with a lens in great shape and use it now. The 124G just sits on the shelf. I had great results with the 124 when shooting Plus-x and developing in Microdol at a 1to3 dilution.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10716
    http://home.comcast.net/~rem700a/westviews.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I learned on one of these back in high school. A couple of years ago my wife bought me a mint one off of ebay ($55 with shipping). I sent it off to Mark Hama for a CLA and love occassionaly running few rolls through it.
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just bought one the other day - so this sounds all good news.

I have bought it as a back up for my Hasselblad when shooting weddings etc.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Went on a little camera trip the other day and gave the 124G a proper workout. Here are some samples...

Russ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milford 1.jpg   Milford 4.jpg   Milford 2.jpg   Milford 3.jpg  
    R.L. Sisco
    MSgt, USAF, Retired

Do you have an
    Electro 35 or other
    Yashica that you
    would like Refurbished?
    Check out:
    www.camerarefurb.com

My Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Mat 124G that I was given as payment for a $60 debt. I love it. It's in beautiful shape and if I had to buy it now I'd certainly pay more that the $60 to get it back. It takes lovely photos.

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to have one, several years ago, and what shocked me at the time was how much better the image quality you could get with a fairly inexpensive M/F camera than the expensive Nikon F system I was using at the time, and although I traded the Yashica in eventually for the Mamiya C330F system I still use I still remember it with affection. Enjoy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my two Yashicas a 124G and a D; both ebay bargains.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791
    I have bought it as a back up for my Hasselblad when shooting weddings etc.

Matt
    Matt, I don't know what your style is, and I don't know the accuracy of what I'm about to state ... When I was considering a Yashicamat 124 [which I purchased and really like excepting the poor visibility in the WLF in bright light outside], my research yielded an opinion that the Yashicamat would provide very sharp images since it was developed for military use in Japan, I think. This is not always valued in portrait photography, I understand--in fact, I have heard that Hasselblad is considered ideal for portrait photography [by some] because it can create a softer image with the portrait lenses. On the other hand, people always talk about how sharp the Hassy lenses are, but that might vary by lens. I think with the Yashicamat 124, I've found that the images are sharp throughout. I'm sure others on here will correct me, including you, since I am a total novice.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Using the 124G as a backup for a Hasselblad in wedding photography is asking for trouble. They are not even in the same class. I have both and would never use the 124G at a wedding. If any of my clients would see this, I would never shoot another wedding - let alone what my contracted studios would say. Leave the Hasselblads to the weddings and the 124G to their little end of the world - usually scenics, flowers, people in general, that type of photography; but, definitely not, I repeat not, in a commercial situation. I love my 124G - I bought it on ebay from a closing camera shop in Brazil. It came in the original box, unopened, unused, and in pristine condition. But I know it's limitations.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin