Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,684   Online: 903

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jshelly
    With the Leica the main issue is that itís almost too small in my hands even though I have small hands, I always feels like Iím going to drop it even with a grip and the fact that itís 35mm.
    Get a wrist strap for the Leica. I use them with my M6 and M3, and carry my M4-2 on a neck strap. I have been known to shoot with one Leica on each wrist and another around my neck!!

The wrist strap has a 1/4-20 screw that threads into the tripod hole, so it's quite secure, and you can swing the camera into shooting position very quickly.

Then again, if you like the Mamiya 7 and can afford it, go for it!

--Eddy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I totally agree with Rich, but I have to agree with photobum (I too, own a 2,8 F and if I had to be left with one camera, this would be it... although I prefer the images I make with the 4x5). I think that selling the Rolleiflex and the Leica would be a sin. The Mamiya is a great camera, offering the possibility to do panoramic on 35mm film and some superb lenses, but I would like to own one only if I could afford it WITHOUT losing some of my current equipment. The problem with the Rollei finder will go away, you get used to the image inversion. Give it some time... after a year or two you'll be able to tell whether one of the two cameras is not good for you. After all, the longer you wait, the more the prices will go up, thanks to our Asian friends who bid like crazy on every Rolleiflex and Leica that goes on Ebay...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really appreciate the feedback. Looks like I'll be holding on to the M6 & Rollei for a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jshelly
    I really appreciate the feedback. Looks like I'll be holding on to the M6 & Rollei for a while.
    One of the COOL things about the Leica is that it opens up a realm of photography that GETS to the same object as doing LF, but in a different way.

Shoot at f/4 and f/2.8... f/2.0.

A 50 at f/4 has the same depth of field as a 210 between f/16 and f/22 ( at the same enlargement ). You can get a wealth of information, free of diffraction, handheld, and with hair splitting focus. Even working from a tripod, in the sweet light after sunset, you can work quickly and confidently. With your favorite 100 film.

It can do a lot of things well, but the Leica's glory is the world of marginal light. Start shooting with the Rollei 20 minutes before sundown, and switch to the Leica. Use the same film, soup them together, and start investing in picture frames.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rollieflex is made for the monopod, this is a fantastic combination.
    I love working without a tripod.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    It can do a lot of things well, but the Leica's glory is the world of marginal light. Start shooting with the Rollei 20 minutes before sundown, and switch to the Leica. Use the same film, soup them together, and start investing in picture frames.

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=8305

I see what you mean, thanks for making me reconsider...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yahoo ! What a picture ! Go for it !

d
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a Leica MP and a Mamiya 7II. While I like both cameras, the Mamiya gets much more use. The big, beautiful neg is one reason. The other is that, like you, I find the Leica just too small to fit my hands. Especially with the 50mm lens. I know most people can focus the Leica with ease, but I have trouble with the focus ring. No problem with the 7II.

I use the 7II as my "go to" travel camera. I have run into problems with the f4 limit on the lense--I like to do night shots when I travel to European cities. I have some very good, hand held shots with my Leica, which I couldn't get with the Mamiya. The Mamiya has a self timer, however. Now I carry a very flimsy tripod and use the self timer on the Mamiya for night shots. I can still get the shots I want and I get better DOF than a hand held shot from the Leica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try Tom Abrahamsson's RapidGrip for the Leica, combined with a wrist strap you'll never fear dropping it again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Mamiya 7 II body and 43mm lens new will run $4.1K.

For the same money one can have 108 degrees with a Horseman SW612 with a 45mm Grandagon, Center filter and lens guard. Not much more an you can opt for the even wider 35mm.

I have found that the viewfinder on the Horseman is also more accurate as to what will show on the negative. Optional back are also available for 6x9. It does lack a rangefinder. (Do you need one shooting that wide?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin