Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,282   Online: 846

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

M6 + Rolleiflex 2.8 = Mamiya 7II?

I'm still experimenting with different formats and cameras, and after using an M6 and a Rolleiflex Iíve come to the conclusion that I really enjoy medium format as well as using a rangefinder.

The issues that I have with both, are that I find the TLR awkward to handle and the reverse directions composing has caused me to miss a shot on more then one occasion. With the Leica the main issue is that itís almost too small in my hands even though I have small hands, I always feels like Iím going to drop it even with a grip and the fact that itís 35mm.

Iím contemplating on possibly selling the Rollei and M6 and purchasing a Mamiya 7II

My main concern is only the limit of f4 with the Mamiya at this point, since I only use a standard lens (50mm or 80mm for medium). The Rollei can produce some amazing shots with a 3d look that I would hate to miss also.

Is there anyone that has been in the same boat that could share some info? Has the limitation of f4 ever been an issue? Also, would there be any suggestions to something other then the Mamiya 7II?

Thanks,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You already have two very capable cameras. How long have you owned them?

The Mamiya 7 is an amazing camera with few limitations. A slow lens is not one of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had the M6 about four months and the Rollei about eight months.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah...spend some more time with them before changing systems.

The Leica is about as good as it gets in 35mm and the Rollei is the same for medium format.

My issue with the Mamiya 7, although a neurotic one, is that you can't get all 10 negs on a 8x10 contact sheet. Only 9 will fit. So when I own the Mamiya, I have a separate envelope filled with orphaned negatives. So to me, the Mamiya was a 9 shot camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Solid advise David,
    I'm always lacking in the patience department.

Is the Rollei really that good? (It's my first medium format camera)

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David there are negative sleves out there that will hold all 10 shots of the mamiya 7. As for the contact sheet, I just saved the extra one from the sleeves I use, and put them into a new sleeve, and so I have one contact sheet that has only three images on it, no big deal to me.

The Mamiya 7II with a 43mm lens is about as good as your gonna get in medium format. It outshines even the hassleblad lenses. I find no limitations with it. Like David said, get used to your equipment first. But if you find you really don't like it, rent first and see if you like the Mamiya. I rented first, and there was no turning back for me. It is a awesome camera.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    F/4 is a limitation every day... for me.

Work with your tools and transform yourself. You have two perfect cameras,
    that complement each other.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an assortment of equipment including my Leica R series cameras and lenses, Rollei 3.5F Planar, Mamiya 7II, and my Linhof Technikardan 45S. I like the handling of my Rollei TLR. If you have an F model or later Rollei an option for this camera is to purchase the eye level finder. This will add bulk and weight to the camera but will correct the right/left viewfinder issue.

However, for me, I was never as comfortable with the square format size as I am with the rectangular formats.

With the the limits of focusing distance, the Rollei and the Mamiya 7II both focus to about 1 meter. Both suffer from some degree of parallax, though the Rollei system seems fairly controlled for many applications.

The Mamiya 7II (2 14" x 2 3/4") has basically the same proportions as the 4" x 5" or 8" x 10" and is considered the "Ideal format". The Mamiya 7II is a remarkably small light compact film camera that records a very impressive negative or transparency.

I do not feel that for most applications that you will have issue with an f4.0 lens. In fact, many medium format lenses have an f4.0 aperture. Do not forget that you are focusing with a rangefinder not through the lens. Additionally, you will be able to hand hold the camera considerably longer than an SLR for the same focal length lens (though I recommend using a tripod or support when available for better composition control and aperture selection). For focus you will not need as fast a lens. The camera is very reactive and can be focused much like your M6. Is that a Leica M6 or a Mamiya 6?

For lens selection for the Mamiya 7II consider both the 65mm and the 80mm lenses if you wish to not need to use the separate viewfinder. The 43mm and the 50mm lenses both require the use of a separate viewfinder for framing (not focusing and are included with these lenses new and generally should be included if purchased used). All the Mamiya 7II lenses perform exceedingly well and are considered to be some of the best performing medium format lenses ever produced.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    with the tlr set up your shots and think like you are flying an airplane. once you have a mental trick to orient yourself it will become second nature.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Large Format
    EAT. Equipment Acquision Trap. God knows I have it. I have a Rollei 3.5f. It's my least used camera. If I could only have one camera it would be the Rollei. Go figure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin