Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,083   Online: 988

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's great all these companies are going under. All my old cameras have now become collectors items, this will definately drive prices of film based equipment right up. I may have to wait a bit but I am sure the ddigital heads will be back.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    At the recent "Shooting the West Convention", the Pentax rep who spoke, indicated that there would be no more FILM cameras from Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Mamiya

Sure hope the rumour proves false.:o

I've been a content Mamiya user for some time and if I had to choose a format other than 4x5...probably would be the 645.
    Have made some wonderful images in some wonderful places with Mamiya equipment.

That being said, if anyone is unloading Mamiya 645 Pro TL stuff really, really economically...let me know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoBob
    Sure hope the rumour proves false.:o

I've been a content Mamiya user for some time and if I had to choose a format other than 4x5...probably would be the 645.
    Have made some wonderful images in some wonderful places with Mamiya equipment.

That being said, if anyone is unloading Mamiya 645 Pro TL stuff really, really economically...let me know.
    I think DrewB was trying to sell his.

Of course, part of the problem for these manufacturers is the used camera market. I love my Mamiya's, but I sure didn't buy them new! This'll be a major bummer if it turns out to be true. I always found some comfort knowing Mamiya still built the cameras I use!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too have been a Mamiya user for a long time, starting with a C2 and a C3.
    I use mostly 645 and RZ now. While I hope this is not true, I predicted their exit from the business last year (I hate it when I'm right about those things).

MAC Group (the US distributor) will probably be around a long time and is very good about service and finding repair parts. They also distribute Toyo-View and when the MF market started to tank, they signed on as US distributors for a bunch of other photo equipment.

Mamiya's likely exit is due, I think, to some compatibility issues in the newer 645 cameras and failure to provide viable digital options to their pro users.
    Their promised digital camera and back was still not on the market 2 years after being 'announced'. This gives the market a bad feeling. Whether we like it or not, to be able to stay in business, a 35mm or MF manufacturer needs to sell digital in order to provide us with a couple of film camera options.

I checked the Robert White site - most items are close in price to US, but their 'special buy' on new 645 PRO TL kit is a steal - comparable to high quality used prices. This may be a good buy for European or Canadian folks, even though it might take a couple of months to arrive in Canada. To the US, however, is another problem. It may or may not be allowed in by US Customs. It seems the MAC Group actually owns the Mamiya trademark in the US - which under US law, it is technically illegal for a dealer outside the US to sell new equipment directly into the US. Not true with most other equipment - that is simply called 'grey market' - meaning there is no US backed warranty - but this is different.

Anyway, I may try to pick up a spare RZ body or another lens while the used market is still plentiful.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka
    Mamiya's likely exit is due, I think, to some compatibility issues in the newer 645 cameras and failure to provide viable digital options to their pro users.
    Their promised digital camera and back was still not on the market 2 years after being 'announced'. This gives the market a bad feeling. Whether we like it or not, to be able to stay in business, a 35mm or MF manufacturer needs to sell digital in order to provide us with a couple of film camera options.

The UK distributors www.johnsons-photopia.co.uk have announced the availablity of the new ZD camera (@ an eye-watering 7000 GBP – for the body only). No news yet about the digital back, though presumably it can't be too far behind?

It would be handy if they didn't go bust just yet!

Richard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There was a recent post on this forum with a link to a news release that Pentax is getting out of medium format film cameras including the 645 and 67.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka

I checked the Robert White site - most items are close in price to US, but their 'special buy' on new 645 PRO TL kit is a steal - comparable to high quality used prices. This may be a good buy for European or Canadian folks, even though it might take a couple of months to arrive in Canada. To the US, however, is another problem. It may or may not be allowed in by US Customs. It seems the MAC Group actually owns the Mamiya trademark in the US - which under US law, it is technically illegal for a dealer outside the US to sell new equipment directly into the US. Not true with most other equipment - that is simply called 'grey market' - meaning there is no US backed warranty - but this is different.
    Mac always seemed to have sales. At least B&H would email the offers every three months or so. Add in the higher shipping from Europe and the price differences tended to be much smaller then they seem at first.

I own a few Mamiya 35mm things. From before the last time they quit the camera market. That's when Mac got the US trademark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amazing and highly unusual, normally cameras, books, cd's, electrical equipment etc sell here in the UK in pounds - £ for almost the same numerical value in $ - dollars in the US, in other words 70% more.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is new legislation in Europe called RoHS (or similar) which is reducing hazardous substances in electrical equipment, including lead in solder. Pentax have certainly said that this will affect their 6x7 and 645 cameras, plus Hasselblad have ceased production of the Xpan for the same reason. But hey, it's also a good reason to quit the market when sales are falling and blame someone else.

Mamiya may well be in a similar position with some of their cameras, but the older manual monsters could still carry on. Their new ZD at £7000 (body only) would maybe equate to $11,500 for 22 Megapixels and I really can't see enough people paying this sort of money, so their digital days may be numbered as well. Sad to see a longterm camera company go under, but my Konica 35mm slrs have been "obsolete" for years and still work OK so no need for us to panic just yet.

And thought for today is: there are now possibly more LF than MF camera manufacturers left in the world, and LF was supposed to die many, many years ago. Keep buying, keep shooting!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin