Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,770   Online: 880

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter
    There was a recent post on this forum with a link to a news release that Pentax is getting out of medium format film cameras including the 645 and 67.
    In this regard I just bought the 135mm macro for my P67 for $225 from Keh. It was $100 to $125 less than it was a year ago for the same (exc) quality. I'm very sad that Pentax and Mamiya are abandoning film cameras, but, as other threads here have celebrated, it sure has made the used stuff affordable!

BTW...My transaction with Keh was excellent! Their idea of merely 'exc' is, to my eye, not far from 'mint'. As long as there's film to be had, MF is finally becoming financially not so far out of reach.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    In this regard I just bought the 135mm macro for my P67 for $225 from Keh. It was $100 to $125 less than it was a year ago for the same (exc) quality. I'm very sad that Pentax and Mamiya are abandoning film cameras, but, as other threads here have celebrated, it sure has made the used stuff affordable!

BTW...My transaction with Keh was excellent! Their idea of merely 'exc' is, to my eye, not far from 'mint'. As long as there's film to be had, MF is finally becoming financially not so far out of reach.

Jovo,

It looks as if Mamiya is abandoning ALL cameras, not just film cameras, complete shift, such as Konica Minolta did.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's an irony. I just purchased used Mamiya medium format gear last night & today, (645 1000s with metered prism and standard 80mm lens). I want to experiment with the format for landscapes, etc and the prices were very reasonable. I also joined this forum just today. Quick question: which wide angle lens would be best for shooting indian ruins at Mesa Verde National Park. I'm thinking the 45MM but there's also the 35mm and 55mm. Opinions appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love my 45mm lens, it seems to be a perfect angle of view lens for landscape work, I use it in Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton all the time, I had the 35mm and I felt it introduced to much distortion because it is so wide.

Have fun the 1000s is a great camera, I have had both of mine for almost 20 years now, with not problems.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    I think we are ignoring the bigger, sadder issue: how much longer will 120 film be available for purchase and process before it goes the way of Mamiya, Contax, Minolta, and Nikon Film cameras? Scanning 120 film produces great images on par with other 12 and 16 MP cameras, not to mention the incredible prints we get from negatives to paper in traditional developing.

There are only three labs in my area that develop 120 film, and I have noticed that there digital business is increasing at a higher rate than their film processing is declining.

I don't want to turn this into a film versus digital debate, I am happy using 120, 35, and digital at this time. My point is that it is sad that our medium format options are dwindelling. Nothing beats the feeling of using the tank like Mamiya cameras and later being fascinated by the outstanding images they produce. I hope Mamiya reconsiders before its September deadline to continue to produce its amazing cameras and lenses. Even if it means downsizing and producing smaller quantities for its loyal followers like us.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The price is 100,000,000yen:o
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron
    Scanning 120 film produces great images on par with other 12 and 16 MP cameras,
    You must have a cheap scanner if that is all you are getting.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greetings APUG,

Someone was nice enough to post an article, with an interpretation of the Japanese news release at:

http://www.photoscala.com/node/view/1276

Anyone know anything about this Cosmo company? Could a future Mamiya actually be branded a Cosmo?

Looks like the sale / exchange of stock is set to happen in September 2006. If I recall correctly, there is supposed to be ten years of service on new products once a product line is discontinued in the US. That would mean that many working professionals still using RB/RZ67s could get them officially serviced and repaired until at least 2016.

I have to agree with some comments about US pricing. I know few Mamiya users who bought much of anything brand new, and the few that did often got theirs overseas. Perhaps this will help the used market prices of Mamiya gear, which might help some of us on a tighter budget.

Hasselblad was bought by Shriro, their largest distributer, and Fuji helps produce the H series. Rollei just recently split their medium format 6000 series off to Franke & Heidecke, who recently signed a distribution and cooperation agreement with Komamura (Horseman). A few years ago I thought ALPA was a high priced niche product, but suddenly it seems that more little medium format niches are appearing, depending upon what this Cosmo company does with Mamiya. I guess if I worry about anything in this, it would be that new medium gear prices end up going much higher. I guess it will be wait and see for now.

There are still good signs of medium format products, but I wonder about the pricing. Sure, I would like to get an ALPA, or a new Rollei, but the reality is that used will still be a better deal for my budget.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven
    Could a future Mamiya actually be branded a Cosmo?
    The news in the Mamiya-OP web site says that Mamiya-OP is going to sell their optical related business including the Mamiya K.K.(subsidiary) and the brand name "Mamiya". Mamiya K.K. will be liquidated after the disposal, Cosmo Digital Imaging will provide after-sales.
    I guess the name "Mamiya" is going to survive(for a while).

I don't know much about the Cosmo Digital Imaging. It's a new(since 2006.03.15!) digital technology subsidiary of the Cosmos Scientific Systems, Inc (an IT company). It's hard to imagine that they handle film cameras.

Mamiya news release(Japanese)
    http://www.mamiya-op.co.jp/home/comp...006_0421_j.pdf

Cosmos Scientific Systems, Inc. (Japanese)
    http://www.cosmos.jp/
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    35mm
    Apparently their new digital camera wasn't selling well, according the statement.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin