Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,913   Posts: 1,521,698   Online: 1042

Shooter
    Medium Format

Horseman VHR - I'm curious who uses this system?

Hi
    I've been using a Horseman VHR as my first view camera. I use my VHR to capture landscape and nature images. I choose this setup because I wanted to start utilizing movements and I can use the same roll film as I use with my Bronica SQa. The one drawback I find to this system is that, I can't always see clearly how my plane of focus has changed after tilting. I imagine this would be more clear with a 4x5 camera???? I'm curious what others think about this camera and what you use it for? Also, what is the longest lens you have used with this camera?

www.yosemitecollection.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sorry, I don't use the Horsemand VHR myself. But, I wanted to point out that you can use roll film backs on most traditional LF cameras. I have the Horseman 6x12 back that I use on my Toyo 45AII.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    I have been using both the VH and VHR for some time. Lenses from the Schneider 58XL to Nikon's 270 T-ED. Great cameras. Yes you will be able to better see the effects of tilt on a 4x5 (I shoot a Toyo 45AII as well), but NO 4x5 comes as close for portability.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you able to tilt at all using a 270 lens? I have a horseman 65mm and 105mm. I'd like to at some point purchase a good telephoto.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have just bought a VHR system and I'm itching to try it out. Got the camera, 65mm, 105mm, and 180mm lenses (all with cams), 3 6x9 backs, 2 6x7 backs, and a polaroid holder with the proper spacers. Not bad for $800, no?:-) It's in great shape, but I want to get a new GG, the current one is all scratched up. Looking forward to shooting this on my trip. Of course this means I have to sell my other cameras that I was going to take, a 4x5 and a 6x12 camera, both rangefinders....

Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Filters?

Does anyone know where I can get 40.5mm filters? I'm looking for a polarizer, an orange, and a medium yellow, thanks!

Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    40.5mm filters are easy to find. All the mail order houses carry them, as they are commonly used for many rangefinder and large format lenses.

I don't have the VH-R, only its ancestor the 980. Lovely camera, though a bit heavy. You may find a loupe helps distinguish fine focus details. Keep in mind that the lenses are generally shorter than 4x5 lenses, and so have more depth of field to start.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin