Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,874   Online: 944

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iskra Photos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Had another break at work and scanned in 2 more images which might be worth looking at in the darkroom when school ends.

Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeremy... Love that Buick!
    It sure is easy to tell that you are havin' fun with this camera.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm RF
    [QUOTE=It's a fun camera that has been accompanying me to school and these shots are all off of the first two rolls. I've started parking on different streets as I walk to school and photographing the stoops that interest me. There are another 3 or 4 rolls of these to be developed!

I'm very much liking the "look" of the old, uncoated Tessar, but since the lens seems to be a little low contrast and so I might look for a yellow filter to adapt onto the end of this puppy.

.[/QUOTE]

I did something similar when I worked at University of Penn years ago. Used a Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex IIa with Tessar, shooting the *wildlife* and frat houses. If you are really interested in using filters and a lens hood with the Iskra (I own a couple of 'em, too, LOVE 'em), you can fit a Series V retaining ring and attach filters and lens hoods. However, I would suggest getting a Series V to Series VI step-up ring and using Series VI accessories, instead. BTW, the Iskra lens is coated, however, your particular model may have had the coating on the front element "cleaned" clear off. God knows what some Soviet photogs did to their lenses back when these cameras were made. In any case, you got a far larger number of really good shots with your camera than I did with the first few rolls in mine. I liked the Travis shot the most, great expression!

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    cool stuff, Jeremy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great set of photos, Jeremy. I've got an Iskra too, and love it. Only thing is the little rangefinder viewer scratches the hell out of my glasses every time! Oh well. Did yours come with the leather case? The bottom screws onto that mount reducing it to whatever size my tripod screw happens to be. Just and FYI.

Have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad you're enjoying your Iskra - I love my two.

As Jon said, the Iskra's lens should be coated.

As for filters, you can try and find 33mm screw in filters, or go the series filter route. I found the Series 5 adapter screw thread to be not quite the same pitch, so be careful if you go this route.

The best option is to get a Series VI 1-3/8in / 35mm push on adapter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a little trivia, if anyone does not know:

*did you know that in russian (and croatian and similar languages) Iskra means spark?

:-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it is coated. It is quite difficult to check you Iskra lens, as the shutter doesn't work without film in the camera. But if you fire the shutter from under the front of the lens at the b-setting you can see if it is fogged. I cleaned a hazy lens of my grandfathers old Voightländer Bessa 6x9 and it made a huge difference on contrast. I will soon take apart my Iskra lens to clean some dust in there.

Here is a picture I took with my Iskra II:
    /matti

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by P C Headland
    Glad you're enjoying your Iskra - I love my two.

As Jon said, the Iskra's lens should be coated.

As for filters, you can try and find 33mm screw in filters, or go the series filter route. I found the Series 5 adapter screw thread to be not quite the same pitch, so be careful if you go this route.

The best option is to get a Series VI 1-3/8in / 35mm push on adapter.
    AHHH, yeah. It can be a bit tricky to fit the screw threads of a Series V adaptor, normally. However, the pitches on retaining rings seem to vary a good deal from maker to maker, unlike the step-up rings I have (most of which are Kodak). Ednalite retaining rings are a bit odd-fitting to most other brands' adaptor rings. I have a number of no-name rings that don't seem to fit anything despite being labeled for Series V. So, there is a bit of variability and you need to check these things out sometimes to avoid disappointment and rising blood pressure. BTW, a retaining ring comes in two flavors-- one type is a finishing retainer with no threads on the "front" side, the other has the Series thread on the side facing away from the camera to allow the use of a lens hood or attaching a step-up adaptor. Whichever way you go, enjoy the Iskra.

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    some very strong work, Jeremy. Obviously you and this camera can sync well. The bokeh in the backgrounds of "Travis" and "Private Drive..." seems pretty nice for a Tessar design.
    Russ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin