Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,045   Online: 769

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    In the early 1960s, World Book Encyclopedia under "Photography" used the Graflex 22 as an example of TLR's.

When I was 14, I told a story at school that I had one. Others put me to the task of showing up with it. A trip to the local camera store confirmed that they had no such thing in stock, but they rented me a Rollei for a day.

When my classmates and teacher told me that this was not the camera I described, they demanded to know why this one was different. I said that I upgraded...
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a Sears/Tower TLR.. pretty dim screen but once I cleaned the mirror and screen it wasn't too bad. The bokeh was great, but stopped down to f8/f11 the lens was a killer. I'm sure it was nothing more than a 3-element lens but it just had this snap to it. Very pleasing. Getting used to the red-window frame advance wasn't too bad either. Excellent knock-around camera.

Also had/have a broken Ricoh Auto 66 (or Auto 225?) with _bright_ fresnel and rollei-like frame crank/cock/advance. Nice camera except that the frame advance was broken and could never fix it. Selenium meter too. 6-element lens I believe. *sigh*

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv
    Randy, I think you're mixing up the Graflex SLR with the Graflex TLR. The SLR was that huge beast with a chimney hood, whereas the TLR is a Rolleicord-type of camera.
    That's odd... I'm positve that picture I remember is of him looking down the chimney while taking a cloud picture, although the "Steerage" certainly could have been a TLR. Thanks for the info!

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    That's odd... I'm positve that picture I remember is of him looking down the chimney while taking a cloud picture, although the "Steerage" certainly could have been a TLR. Thanks for the info!

- Randy
    Pictures of each:

SLR : http://www.graflex.org/articles/series-d/
    TLR : http://www.graflex.org/graflex-22/

The Graflex 22 was a rebranded Ciro-flex, which uses 120 film in 6x6. The SLR models used 2x3, 4x5 and 5x7 sheet film.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv
    The Graflex 22 was a rebranded Ciro-flex, which uses 120 film in 6x6. The SLR models used 2x3, 4x5 and 5x7 sheet film.
    The SLR also came in 3x4, which seems to have been a significant fraction of total sales, based on what I see on the auction site, and a few roll film models, including a 1A (120) and a 3A (122 - postcard format). And we should remember that the SLR was the camera that gave Folmer and Schwing's descendants the Graflex brand name.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    well, for squirts and giggles, I got one off Ebay for $50 plus shipping. I'll put some film through it and see how it works. It would make a cheap alternative to the Hassy when I want to shoot medium format but don't want to risk the good gear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin