Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,542   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Anyone ever shoot a Graflex TLR?

Are the lenses any good on these, and how are the ergonomics? Are they under-rated, or are they just cheap clunkers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The www.graflex.org helpboard has a section for the TLRs. They're not discussed often, but they have been discussed ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've always wonder about these too. I keep thinking about getting one but I never have. I don't know if its the historical aspect or what, but they just fascinate me. Let us know what you think if you get a hold of one.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are some right now on the 'Bay, and Ciro-Flexes as well (Buy it now items), so maybe now is the time to know
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Graflex TLR is the same as the Ciro-Flex. Conventional wisdom says that most had a 3 element lens, while the Ciro-Flex model F has a 4 element Tessar type. I've seen nice photographs made with any of these, so I'd say try one out and see what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PS I love my Ciro-Flex, but I always liked non-Kodaks. :0)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Stieglitz used a 5x7 version for a number of his pictures. I seem to remember seeing a photo of him using it for the 'Equivalent' series clouds pictures and I *think* that he used the 5x7 model for "The Steerage".

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    Stieglitz used a 5x7 version for a number of his pictures. I seem to remember seeing a photo of him using it for the 'Equivalent' series clouds pictures and I *think* that he used the 5x7 model for "The Steerage".

- Randy
    Randy, I think you're mixing up the Graflex SLR with the Graflex TLR. The SLR was that huge beast with a chimney hood, whereas the TLR is a Rolleicord-type of camera.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Ciro-flex that is in great shape and takes very nice photos for a 65 year old camera. I've posted examples on this site. It's one of those cameras that I'll pass on to my kids some day.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice camera when in decent shape. A few have really suffered from living in basements and attics for decades, but a lot of that is easily fixed - at worst you may want to replace the mirror. The 85mm triplet is sharper than you might expect as apparently they used a slightly longer lens length so only the sharper parts of the field would be in use. The 83mm on the F is a tessar copy. Almost all the lenses are coated, and I haven't seen any with fungus (out of about a dozen). Most of the later models even have fresnels. The optics are good, focusing is easy, the shutters are accurate and reliable and the only downside is the red-window film advance. Frankly, the only reason I use my Yashicamat and Flexaret more than the Ciroflexes is that the film advance is so much faster than cranking forward to the red window (that and the Maxwell screen in the Yashicamat). I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to try medium format or a TLR.

There is a great essay on American TLRs here: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-76.html

And some nice sample images here: http://tanyaclark.com/Ciroflex.htm and another here http://www.cosmonet.org/camera/ciroflex_e.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin