Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,110   Online: 1104

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pentax 6X7

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pentax Lens Information

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Like Craig above, I use the Pentax 67II primarily for rail photography. The Metering prism incorporates matrix exposure control and aperture-priority capability in addition to average and spot. Exposures are usually right-on and the handling is exceptional. It is very possible to get very sharp handheld images practicing proper technique. When trackside chasing trains you don't often have the luxury of setting up a tripod. For color, I use Provia pushed to 200 and also shoot Ilford HP-5 at 800-1000 and send it off to DR-5 in Denver for transparency processing. It's a great camera!

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Sandy-
    I sold a Hassleblad outfit to buy into the 6x7 in 1983 or '84 and have never looked back. The lenses were equal to or better than the Blads, especially the Pentax 55mm (I was doing a lot of interiors in those days). The variety of lenses represents all you could ever want and they're affordable. The 120 soft focus is without equal.

As mentioned by many above, you MUST have the mirror-lockup and always employ it at 1/30 second or slower.

Not mentioned is the fact that as long as the shutter is open, the battery is being drained. Time exposures really eat batteries quickly.

I have never trusted thru-the-lens metering so the metering prism is a moot issue for me, especially for interiors and night scenes.

They're also durable. Mine has been in terrible conditions (especially blowing dust/sand) and has travelled probably 200,000+ miles- and suffered the attendant vibration, shocks, and general physical insults. No problems-ever.

All that said, I also shoot a Mamiya 7, especially on the road when space and weight are important. It's lenses are minor miracles but they'll never have two lenses of the Pentax line that are priceless to me: the 120 soft focus and the 135 macro.

Russ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's especially attractive at the moment is the price of used lenses. Check out what's available at keh.com (I just bought a 135mm macro from them). That lens now makes a set of four. At these prices I may just end up saving for a used 300mm which is finally really affordable. Up to 11x14 (which is the largest size I've printed) these lenses are amazing. I doubt I'd be disappointed at 16x20 or even a bit larger, but I just haven't made any as yet. I'm sometimes even happier with what they deliver than what I get from my 4x5, albeit I don't have spectacular lenses for it (150 G claron, and a 210 Geronar).

Great camera (P67 with MLU) and an excellent series of superb lenses.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill
    Yes. just set the shutter speed dial to A and you've also got the option of +or - 3stops exposure compensation.

Does aperture priority AE work with all of the older lenses?

And, does anyone know if there is an adaptor that would allow use of Pentacon 6 mount lenses?

Any comments on the quality of the 50-100mm zoom?

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Does aperture priority AE work with all of the older lenses?

And, does anyone know if there is an adaptor that would allow use of Pentacon 6 mount lenses?

Any comments on the quality of the 50-100mm zoom?

Sandy
    Yes, AE works with all the lenses. The 55-100 is excellent. I don't have a scanner that can handle 120 otherwise I'd post some pics, but its a great lens. Not fast, and a bit big, but optically excellent.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Two 6X7 Pentax systems have come and gone at our house. There won't be a third. I love the idea but I hate the execution. They are unweildly, heavy, and the mirror finally slaps so hard it just about tips the tripod over. They are nearly useless for hand holding. The one exception is to use an L bracket and do every shot with a Vivitar 283. The optics are really very nice and priced fairly on Ebay. I once tested my 165mm P67 lens next to a Konica 150. Under a loupe the Konica seemed quite better. And they're nearly worthless on the web. As with all my opine's, YMMV.

The second of the 2 systems I bought to take photos of my grandbabies while they are small. $1500. I replaced it with a $65 Minolta Autocord that is light as a feather around my neck.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim,

Thanks for your comments. I have handled the older model Pentax 6X7 cameras and understand what you mean about heavy.

But what about a Pentacon 6 to Pentax 67 adaptor? Does such a thing exist? I ask because I have a lot of long focal length Zeiss optics (300mm Sonnar, 180mm Sonnar, etc.) and would like to use this on 6X7 format for a specific project.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Two 6X7 Pentax systems have come and gone at our house. There won't be a third. I love the idea but I hate the execution. They are unweildly, heavy, and the mirror finally slaps so hard it just about tips the tripod over. They are nearly useless for hand holding. The one exception is to use an L bracket and do every shot with a Vivitar 283. The optics are really very nice and priced fairly on Ebay. I once tested my 165mm P67 lens next to a Konica 150. Under a loupe the Konica seemed quite better. And they're nearly worthless on the web. As with all my opine's, YMMV.

The second of the 2 systems I bought to take photos of my grandbabies while they are small. $1500. I replaced it with a $65 Minolta Autocord that is light as a feather around my neck.
    Last edited by sanking; 04-29-2006 at 09:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Jim,

But what about a Pentacon 6 to Pentax 647 adaptor? Does such a thing exist? I ask because I have a lot of long focal length Zeiss optics (300mm Sonnar, 180mm Sonnar, etc.) and would like to use this on 6X7 format for a specific project.

Sandy
    Now that I don't know. Hopefully someone else around here does.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an old Pentax 6X7 with MLU. Compared the 67II wins.
    IT has a much brighter wievfinder. That is the major drawback on the older model.
    The 67II has better ergonomics. It feels a lot lighter than it really is.
    The 67II has multiexposure capability and the automation mentioned.
    The old 6X7 has a much better sound though
    Cheers, Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin