Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,492   Online: 958

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pentax 6X7

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a 67II for aerial photography, usually on auto and find I get sharp well exposed pictures in what is a high vibration environment (inside a C-152 light aircraft). I'd prefer a shutter priority auto mode to make sure the shutter speed is always on a 1/1000th, but it is fairly easy to ride the aperture to keep the speed up. People tell me that it is a bit of a pig to load, but I don't find it any slower in that respect than any other medium format camera and the fact that it can use 220 film (and manages to squeeze in 21 frames in that format) does at least mean that I only have to reload half as often.

David.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I used a 67 for 2 years. weddings, nature and hiking (mont blanc..)
    What i liked was the format, the lenses which where quite payable and the handling like a 35mm.

My problem was that with weddings you did need a quite large diafragm (F11/13) where you use F5.6 for 35mm for the same DOF. So you need a 400/800iso film to get a 1/60 often.... That's why i went over to the 645. (for nature i use a 4x5 now..)
    I would use the 67 always on a tripod when i would buy it again.

Loading film is no problem with the 67. I would buy the 67ii which are very well priced at this moment with a super light measurement system just like the 645 has. lenses are good (see www.photodo.com for rates), but i always leave the zooms and buy primes which rate much higher.

Good luck with your search for the holy grail....
    Willie Jan
    www.foto-art.nl

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sanking,

I've been using the P67 II for almost 2 years with a non-metered prism. When I first looked in the finder, it was just pure joy, comparing it to a 35mm cameras. Bright, wonderful and big... Of course it has downsides (as everything) mostly described above, but nothing serious. For a brief time I even ventured to digital, but was disapointed and quickly returned to the P67. It's much more pleasant to work with this camera, something akin to LF - slowing down - it's relatively slow to set up a shot, you have to lug a sturdy tripod...

OTOH with the 55mm lens, I'm able to handhold 1/30s shots quite succesfully. With the 135mm, I was able to shoot handheld 1/125 and sometimes even 1/60 (but here the success rate is definitively lower). In handholding the camera, the weight is a definitive plus, it just forces you to grip everything more firmly.

As to hiking with the gear, it's not easy, but well, I've done some 15km to 20km hikes through hilly area with my photo gear totaling around 9kg, tripod around 2.5kg or so, 1.5l bottle of water and some other necessary stuff, and still survive it and even get some shots done and enjoy it :-) [in such conditions, the water is essential...]

Would I recommend it? Yes. Is there a "but"? Yes.

Jiri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For whatever it's worth, I've noticed on that auction site over the past two
    weeks Helix Photo out of Chicago has been listing a lot of new Pentax 67 lenses and accessories with few bidders. Seems like low starting prices.
    No material interest on my part, just thought you might benefit.
    Brian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks again for all of the information provided to my original question.

After some pondering I decided to proceed with purchase of a new Pentax 67II with AE prism and 105 f/2.8 lens. At the same time, I purchased a 55mm f/4 and 165mm f/2.8, and a set of extension tubes at a very reasonable price from an add on this forum.

I would like to add to my outfit at this time some long focal length lenses, 300mm and up, and perhaps a bellows. If anyone has something like this they are interested in selling please contact me at sanking@clemson.edu.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congrats Sandy!

I love my 67II w/AE finder. I just bought the 55-100 zoom. I haven't processed the film yet, but plan to this weekend. Have fun shooting.

Kind Regards,
    Darr
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darr
    Congrats Sandy!

I love my 67II w/AE finder. I just bought the 55-100 zoom. I haven't processed the film yet, but plan to this weekend. Have fun shooting.

Kind Regards,
    Darr
    Hi Darr,

I would be very interested in your opinion of the 55-100 zoom so if you have time please post your comments here on this thread.

The color work you posted earlier in this thread from the Pentax 67, and the images at your web site, are really lovely.

Best,

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did not read the whole thread, so I dunno what has come up yet. But I beleive there are 4 types:

a 6x7 sans MLU
    a 6x7 with MLU
    a 67 (always features the MLU)
    and a 67II (always features MLU)

I have had two of the 6x7 with MLU and two 67's.
    The first two have died in uncommon ways that are not due to the camera itself. The two 67 are still prefect.
    If you have to choose, I'd say never take a sans MLU version. I also prefer the 67 over the 6x7 with MLU. They are newer and if I've understand it correctly, they also have some inside improvements.
    But the 6x7 MLU will do just fine.
    I would be carefull with broken counters. Mostly it is not only the counter that is broken but the whole transport mechanism will behave weird. So if you can get a bargain on a broken counter, always ask for a testfilm.
    One other thing is the exposure dailer. Make sure it clicks obviously when changing exposure times.
    Though not for every pupose I can strongly recommend this camera. when shooting people or doing reports/weddings I can imagine the pentax 67 will be a pain. I love it for everything that can be down slow. I also worked with hasselblads, and like the pentax more.
    That's one more thing I always hear people about: Film loading is a pain. I don't agree. It's almost as simple as with a regular 35mm SLR. the haselblads are way harder.
    Get a wooden handle, a heavy tripod and a pentax 67

game

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have the Pentax 67 and the 75mm 2.8,105mm 2.4,165mm 2.8, and the 300mm non-EDIF. I shot Hasselblad for some years, but always found it's rendition to be clinical and harsh.That's just my opinion. That camera was always too finicky for me,as well. Again, that's just my opinion. When I bought the Pentax for nothing 5 years ago, I was overjoyed. The lenses are just as sharp as my old Hasselblad lenses, but with much smoother gradation and rendition. The 75mm 2.8 is an amazing lens. It's really the one that's on my camera 80% of the time. The only time it failed me was in Shanghai when I was taking pictures of Pudong from the Bund and sort of pointed it up and for some reason all the buildings sort of lean into each other. That's really the only time I have noticed any distortion with it. I shoot handheld 75% of the time and the fast maximum aperture of the P67 lenses make me very happy. The 165mm f2.8 is a great lens, the 105mm is a pretty good lens, and the 300mm is VERY good on a tripod. Not so much fun handheld. I shot with the 135 macro for a few months and, while it was very sharp, I felt it to be too harsh for the kind of work I do. Congratulations on buying your camera. The lenses are so dirt cheap right now, I'm thinking about rounding out my kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking

I would be very interested in your opinion of the 55-100 zoom so if you have time please post your comments here on this thread.
    Sandy,

It sounds like you'll be out my way at the end of June, you'd be welcome to try the zooms then (I've got both of them).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin