Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,774   Online: 1019

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron
    I agree with the comments about KEH. Have you considered getting a newer Mamiya 645E? It's not a bad MF starter camera. It has a fixed, non-interchangeable eye level viewfinder and you can only change the film insert instead of the enire back, but it meters well, comes with a decent lens, and is a great starter camera. I would stay away from the rapid winder though, it is way too troublesome and locks the camera. I have seen the 645E on KEH with lens and insert in LN condition for real bargain prices.
    I might. I've been looking around KEH, as well. Trying to juggle the trade-offs with other systems or putting one together piecemeal. The one I've been playing with comes with 2 lenses, both look as immaculate as the camera body. And I give points for the 80mm being the 1.9, the faster of the two 80's that came with the 1000S.

I developed another test roll last night. There's simply nothing wrong with the system except for that prism viewfinder. When we informed the seller, he immediately took it in to get looked at, so it's at a camera repair shop (that I'm familiar with) right now.

Sooooo..... it's still an iron in the fire for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Terri, I have both a 645 and a 645 E and a selection of lenses. For the original 645 I have both a prism viewfinder, similar to yours I suspect and the waist level viewfinder.

I have to admit that I find it a little hard to understand how a fault in the prism viewfinder could lock the mirror up as my understandng is that the prism only receives aperture and shutter speed data from the body but does not send any control signals back down to the body. (Might be wrong on this).

You could try shooting a roll with the prism removed and see if the shutter still locks up; if so then the problem is in the body and I agree with previous posters that's it not worth fixing. Get a different body . . .

Once you sort these (body/prism) wrinkles out you'll probably really enjoy the 645 system. I love mine and am often tempted to expand the system further. (I'd love the macro rings or a wide angle)

Good luck
    Glenn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Glen - no, the camera worked flawlessly with the waist viewfinder. My test roll showed perfect negatives, evenly spaced, etc. The mirror lockup was only when the prism attachment was put on.

Supposed to get a call this week from the repair shop with a "diagnosis" and estimate. We'll take it from there.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin