Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,418   Online: 1096

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I rented an RB this past weekend to "test drive" in anticipation of buying one. Test was successful, and - even as I write - a couple of prints from the test are in the wash.

Yes, I have to buy one now. Alas, must sell something else though ...

David
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist
    I have heard however, that some of these lenses have a reputation for being "soft".
    Wherever you've heard this, there's a man who needs to learn how to focus.

Enough said.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd also say think of getting the RZ - you can use RB lenses on an RZ but you can't use RZ lenses on the RB. It has an added fine-focus adjustment, and I find it indispensible you can wind the film, set lens shutter and mirror in one action. If you want to do still-life work this doesn't matter so much, but for anything where you want to work a little faster (or if you're just a bit lazy) it's good. I think I'm right that the RB doesn't have this. I only have the 110 lens (standard for the RZ). (It certainly isn't soft). The RZ is also slightly lighter than the RB.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The RBs are great cameras but, if you can find one, I found it well worth while changing the standard ground glass viewfinder screen with the split prism version. I am sure this is a matter of taste but I never could do quick but accurate focusing without the help it gives.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got a "couldn't pass up" deal on one of the early RBs with the 90mm non-C lens. I see no sign of softness in it (and I'm used to 8x10 contact prints). I like the fact that I can do almost macro work with the standard lens - something I can't do with a TLR or Speed Graphic.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format

No end in sight

Thanks to everyone who posted (almost). Curses upon those of you who recommended the RZ. Now I am plagued by doubt, and looking at these as "the next best thing". Newer and all, and oh my, it will take the Zork and other tilt/shift gizmo, and wowee, take a look at that left hand grip, etcetera.

BAH, now I am in a dilemma. If anyone starts extolling the virtues of a Hassie, I will hunt you down and....
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone who posted (almost). Curses upon those of you who recommended the RZ. Now I am plagued by doubt, ...
    Well, Patrick, not me. I prefer the RB because I like to be "energy independent" (read: no battery).

Cheers,
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone who posted (almost). Curses upon those of you who recommended the RZ. Now I am plagued by doubt, and looking at these as "the next best thing". Newer and all, and oh my, it will take the Zork and other tilt/shift gizmo, and wowee, take a look at that left hand grip, etcetera.

BAH, now I am in a dilemma. If anyone starts extolling the virtues of a Hassie, I will hunt you down and....
    Actually, I think that with prices where they are, the RZ doesn't make sense for me. It is probably a more refined camera and I can see the advantages, but the difference in price will cover the cost of at least a couple of additional lenses.

I just got a 65mm in yesterday, I plan on getting out with it this weekend. I guess that the concerns about softness have a lot to do with wide angles. I have heard that some of the early 50mm lenses, basically the non C versions, were softer than some might have liked. Of course, if you are not setting the floating element to the right distance, it will be softer than it should be, so that could be part of the problem. I have been extremely happy with the quality of my 90 and 180 lenses...and I got the 180 for $100!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry!

In fact, you can't go wrong with an RB, it's just that if you ask this sort of question it's inevitable everyone comes up with another idea...
    The fact that the RB is completely manual and would never (nearly never) go wrong - at least be extremely fixable if it did - was one thing that drew me to it when I was deciding, and the fact that the RZ has an electronic imput did worry me slightly BUT you get the advantages of that. I also liked the fact that the standard lens is 110mm rather than 90mm but this isn't such a consideration if you're not buying a kit.

For me also it's important to use it hand-held and the RB is sailing a bit close to the wind for that. Though everyone will tell you something different. Some people will use RB's hand-held, and some people will say you're mad to use either hand-held. The only way is to borrow or rent a couple and see which you prefer....you won't go wrong with either. (As for the grips - not worth the bother, IMHO - a good neck strap works better. Of course you can meter with an RZ if you have a prism but again, not worth the garganuan weight, expense, and bother for me at least).
    Last edited by catem; 05-04-2006 at 03:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco Gilardetti
    Wherever you've heard this, there's a man who needs to learn how to focus.

Enough said.
    Definitely, 100% agreed there! Soft... wow... OK, I guess you live, you hear all kinds of stuff.

As far as the RZ is concerned, I would say a reasonable way of looking at it is this:
    The RZ's are a wonderful deal right now - you get a LOT for your money.
    The RB's are a flat out STEAL!

Peter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin