Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,882   Online: 928

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

35mm format lenses that can cover 6x6?

I have recently come into possession of a Salyut S, my first MF SLR.

What I am interested in finding out, is if there are any 35mm format lenses that can cover the area of 6x6. I understand 35mm lenses are not supposed to be used this way but I do not wish to invest into lenses for this camera but I would like to try out the different possibilities of MF SLR. Kiev lenses have almost no resale value so will try to experiment on the cheap until I can eventually afford an Rollei SL66.

I have tried gaffa tapeing my 100mm bellows takumar and the image on the groundglass looks spot on. I have also head some 135mm lenses work also if i remove the lens tube, but which ones?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you thought about enlarger lenses? You can probably find some 90mm to 150mm lenses pretty cheap on ebay...

sorry if I can't answer your question more directly.

André

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have thought about enlarger lenses mounted in reverse, but the longest one I've got is a 75mm Fujinon-Ex, so that doesn't allow me the compressed perspective that I wanted and also gets in the way of the mirror for Infinity focus. Also, quality enlarger lenses longer than 90mm are expensive and difficult to kind in my part of the world.

What i would be interested to know is I've heard it is possible to use some 135mm lenses for 35mm format on MF cameras once i remove the lens cell from the lens tube, given the current low low price for quality 135mm lenses, I think it is worth trying, but I would really like to know which ones will give me the image circle that I need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My friend Jim Lager, the author of many of the books on Leica cameras told me in the past that many Pentax 6x7 camera users modified the Leica f6.8 560mm Telyt lenses (I would guess that this would work from either the R or the Visoflex versions) and amazingly the lens covered the 6x7 format. I believe that they had to remove the rear section of the lens and change the mount, but I would have to check with Jim as to how the modification was actually made. This may also work with the shorter Leica f6.8 400mm Telyt as well.

Rich
    Last edited by naturephoto1; 05-06-2006 at 08:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One issue might be the distance from the lens mount to the film plane. If it is much greater than a 35mm camera mount, then you would not get infinity focus. It would be more like using an extension tube on the same lens mounted to a 35mm body.

I did find that the Nikon 35mm f2.8 Shift lens has a fairly large image circle. The lens to film plane distance is only around 45mm, but if you can rig a mounting it will cover 6x6 when stopped down. I have been working on an ultrawide camera using this lens, which is why I tested this.

Some other Nikon lenses supposedly do this, though I think some might be expensive, like the 300mm f2.8. Probably cheaper to adapt large format lenses, or something other than 35mm lenses.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Old idea, works for some but not many lenses originally sold for 35 mm cameras..

If you put some effort in searching around on Bob Monaghan's site (google for "medium format megasite") you'll find extensive discussions of adapting crappy old preset long focal length lenses in T-mount to MF SLRs with focal plane shutters, e.g., Bronica S and close relatives. There might even be discussions about doing such things with Kiev 88s on Bib's site.

On the whole, as long as you're trying to do things on the cheap lenses in Kiev 88 mount (that's your baby, IIRC) are pretty cheap. Before you do anything stupider, go learn more about the Kiev 88 in all its versions and names. Google will be your willing but not too thoughtful assistant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are Pentacon 6x6 breech lock mount to 42mm thread mount (aka Pentax) lens adapters available. I have a couple of them. Several (but not all) of my Kiev 88 CM mount (breech lock) lenses couple with this adapter.

My Kiev 88 and Salut S lenses have a screw thread mount and thus do not work with the Pentacon adapter.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    There are Pentacon 6x6 breech lock mount to 42mm thread mount (aka Pentax) lens adapters available. I have a couple of them. Several (but not all) of my Kiev 88 CM mount (breech lock) lenses couple with this adapter.

My Kiev 88 and Salut S lenses have a screw thread mount and thus do not work with the Pentacon adapter.
    Tom, I think the original poster wants to go the other way. Hang a lens made for an unspecified 35 mm camera in front of his Salyut S, not hang a lens in K88 mount in front of an unspecified 35 mm camera.
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 05-06-2006 at 08:32 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: afterthought

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lenses for the Kiev 88 are ridiculously cheap, so why not just get a couple?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster
    I have recently come into possession of a Salyut S, my first MF SLR.

What I am interested in finding out, is if there are any 35mm format lenses that can cover the area of 6x6. I understand 35mm lenses are not supposed to be used this way but I do not wish to invest into lenses for this camera but I would like to try out the different possibilities of MF SLR. Kiev lenses have almost no resale value so will try to experiment on the cheap until I can eventually afford an Rollei SL66.

I have tried gaffa tapeing my 100mm bellows takumar and the image on the groundglass looks spot on. I have also head some 135mm lenses work also if i remove the lens tube, but which ones?
    Interesting. I am trying to accomplish much the same but for different reasons. My on-going project is to find a 35mm format lens or lenses for macro work with my Kiev 60. Although I can get to 1:1 with extension tubes, the coverage only works out to be equivilant to 1:3 in 35mm due to size differences between the formats. But, I found that my 55mm macro covers the 6X6 format OK and my Noflexar 105mm on bellows does quite well. My thought is to "convert" a Konica body mount to a P-6 lens mount allowing the use of my main 35mm system and M42 mount lenses. As well it will allow me to use enlarging lenses.
    The biggest problem I encountered trying to mate the 35mm format lenses to the Kiev was that if the lens went too deeply into the throat of the mirror box, the mirror would strike it. It don't take much to be in too far. Sooooo, the safest thing to do would be to mount the lens so its rear element didn't extend past the body lens mount. If your Salyut is anything like the Kiev, I don't believe you will encounter much success trying to accomplish infinity focus with a 35mm format lens even if you strip off the focussing mount. From what I have seen so far, any attempt to do so will involve an awful lot of machining and fabrication of parts. As has been pointed out by others, the lenses available in your camera's mount are relatively cheap, so save yourself a headache and get some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin