Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,027   Online: 809

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Rolleiflex repair - not CLA/overhaul

I've seen recommendations on APUG for Harry Fleenor and Camera Wiz for Rolleiflex CLA and shutter repairs... but I've gotten my favorite camera, a 3.5E, a bit beyond a mere CLA.

I was hiking in Ireland, along Killary Harbour, when a combination of a slope, water, rocks, mud and sheep ..well. sheep stuff, caused me to slip and land in that combination. The camera around my neck.. a Fuji 645 was fine.. lens hood kept the mud off of the lens. The Rollei in my backpack.. well.. the 'after' pic of the lens hood is below. The scene of the 'accident' is there too (Kodak 400UC with the Fuji)

The camera will focus smoothly.. apparently to infinity, but the lens platform moves side to side a good amount, and the film advance - it binds for about a quarter of the rotation.

What I'm hoping to see if others have had serious repairs to Rolleiflexes done, by whom and how successful they were. I plan to give both companies a call, but I'd be very interested in hearing any experiences first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rolleishade.jpg   killary2.jpg  
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's too bad about the camera! I would definitely contact Harry Fleenor about a repair. I believe that if he can't fix it, no one can. Good luck

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another option... which I've used for Rollei TLR repair... is Pro Camera Service in Thousand Oaks, California. Google them and give them a call!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Would also suggest highly regarded Krikor Maralian. He's done great things with my Rolleis and his prices are reasonable:

Krimar Photo Shop
    (201) 796-0554
    105 Broadway # B
    Elmwood Park, NJ 07407

Neal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is a pretty serious problem - you want somebody with the proper factory training for sure. I fix Rolleis, but I wouldn't touch a job like this.

Harry Fleenor (LONG backlogs), Krikor as mentioned, you might also consider Juergen Kuschnik who also used to work for Rollei. He is FAST but expensive like Fleenor. He did a bang-up job on my SL66, which is what he is best known for, but this guy knows every Rollei.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks all for the recommendations.. I'll contact Harry Fleenor, Krikor Maralian and Juergen Kuschnik. I get down to New Jersey on a pretty regular basis, so I might try Krikor first.
    Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonneal
    Would also suggest highly regarded Krikor Maralian. He's done great things with my Rolleis and his prices are reasonable:

Krimar Photo Shop
    (201) 796-0554
    105 Broadway # B
    Elmwood Park, NJ 07407

Neal
    I agree with Neal regarding Krikor. He has removed fungus in my Rolleiflex lens, maintained my LF lenses, replaced the Rolleiflex meter, and maintained my Rolleiflex F f.5 75mm Planar for years. He is also the official repair for older Rolleis here in the US.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon King
    I

What I'm hoping to see if others have had serious repairs to Rolleiflexes done, by whom and how successful they were. I plan to give both companies a call, but I'd be very interested in hearing any experiences first.

I've used Jimmy Koh (Koh Camera) in NY (Long Island) for Rollei repairs over the years, both to the twin-lens and SL66 cameras. He's very good, reasonable in price, and what he doesn't know about Rolleis would probably fill a very small book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Witness the problem with great vintage cameras: the list of craftsmen to keep them going .... gets smaller.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. I was down in New Jersey late last week, so I stopped by Krikor Maralian's shop. We had a nice chat about Rolleiflexes, and mine in particular. Price and turn-around were quite reasonable, so it is in Krikor's hands to bring back to functionality.
    Jonathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin