Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,838   Posts: 1,582,467   Online: 764

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SL66 Photos

Shooter
    Multi Format

SL66 Photos

Just thought I'd share a few photos from my "new" SL66 with this group. B&W Efke 25, colour Velvia 50. I only have the 80/2.8 Planar at the moment - selling a few toys to finance the 50/4 and 150/4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    and I almost forgot, me with the beast - Rolleiflex Automat II w/ CZJ Tessar, TMax 100

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike: Aaargh! I had 2 bodies and several backs, plus the same lens lineup. Sold them on consignment through Stan C. Reade in London around '88. Thought I'd never regret it, but you've made me regret it ... especially those trillium shots. Thanks for the memories ... and now I miss Ontario as well. Aaaargh!
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What a coincidence! I live in London and my favoured store in town is Stan C Reade. In fact, the shots here were taken in a conservation area within city limits, and the colour films processed at Stan's.

Its definitely not your camera though, unless it came by way of Arkansas via Hadley Chamberlain's store.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Excellent images Mike, especially the macro. Please post more!

Was that taken with the Planar 80/2.8 reverse mounted? How are you finding the focussing screen? My SL66 is having a service and am considering a Maxwell screen...

Antonio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    #1 is reverse mounted, as is the White Trillium closeup I attach below. Depth of field is practically nothing at 50mm bellows extension, 80 reversed, -2.5 stops of light lost to bellows extension. It makes for a very dim image, hard to see in the waist level finder if you don't cover your head to block out extraneous light.

Also, #1 is not as sharp as I would like. I used f/22, which was a bad decision in hindsight. With 2.5 stops of bellows extension, effective aperture is almost f/64 and diffraction is softening the image. In the future, I won't allow my effective aperture to go any farther than f/45, preferably f/32. Keep that in mind.

Of course, you must also remember to stop down the lens when reversed as its no longer automated.

I am not crazy about the stock screen, mostly because I am not fond of focusing aids like the microprism. I too am considering a Maxwell for my SL66 - I have one in my 2.8E TLR and its amazing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mike, lovely image!

Thanks for the info about how it was taken. I must admit I have been put off reverse mounting as it seems really hard to focus with the dim standard screen. I think I will get a plain Maxwell screen with no focus aids. Also, the focus mechanism does not actually focus the image when the lens is reverse mounted. You have to physical move the camera to gain focus. A bit of a pain. Mine is an early SL66 (number 2800 or so) and it does not include the bellows extension adjustment factors.... I have been wondering where I can get these.

Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs
    #1 is reverse mounted, as is the White Trillium closeup I attach below. Depth of field is practically nothing at 50mm bellows extension, 80 reversed, -2.5 stops of light lost to bellows extension. It makes for a very dim image, hard to see in the waist level finder if you don't cover your head to block out extraneous light.

Also, #1 is not as sharp as I would like. I used f/22, which was a bad decision in hindsight. With 2.5 stops of bellows extension, effective aperture is almost f/64 and diffraction is softening the image. In the future, I won't allow my effective aperture to go any farther than f/45, preferably f/32. Keep that in mind.

Of course, you must also remember to stop down the lens when reversed as its no longer automated.

I am not crazy about the stock screen, mostly because I am not fond of focusing aids like the microprism. I too am considering a Maxwell for my SL66 - I have one in my 2.8E TLR and its amazing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Mike from the U.K, when I look at the image quality that a M/F roll film camera produces, on Velvia, I know why I'm not interested in digital photography, in fact I could quite happily get rid of my 35mm equipment, as long as I could keep M/F cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a PDF of the SL66 user manual for the later model that does show the bellows correction factors (120mm on later scale instead of 250mm).

Mine is the earlier type too: I lightly wrote them in on the scale with a mechanical pencil for reference.

Otherwise, everything is in Mannheim's excellent book "The Rolleiflex SL66/SLX Way".

As for moving the camera to focus, well that's how you do macro, SL66 or not!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the info about macro shooting, I didn't know that. Totally new to it.
    That makes the images even more impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs
    I have a PDF of the SL66 user manual for the later model that does show the bellows correction factors (120mm on later scale instead of 250mm).

Mine is the earlier type too: I lightly wrote them in on the scale with a mechanical pencil for reference.

Otherwise, everything is in Mannheim's excellent book "The Rolleiflex SL66/SLX Way".

As for moving the camera to focus, well that's how you do macro, SL66 or not!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin