Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,487   Online: 901

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

It's up to you

The choice really is one of personal preference. I like the Holga
    because the plastic lens offered more opportunity for distortion when I compared the two. I also thought it fit my idea of a toy camera better.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally, I like my Holga. I have one light leak I don't like (I think from the window on the back) but not many others. I wish it vignetted a bit more than it does, too. I can probably put something inside to do that, though. I just usually think of it once it's loaded. I've never seen a woca, though. The Holga is only about $17 new, though. I think I paid $21 with shipping.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not pick up an old Box Brownie for $1? The lens is almost as bad and they leak less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    seems the holga is in favore here. Seems a bit strange tough to buy something worse for the same mooney, allthough I understand worse is not worse in this case. Worse is maybe even better.
    Anyone here that would give avote for the Woca?

sam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a woca, but I haven't had any time to run any film through it. Not that that helps any.

But it was recomended to me over the holga.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was in the same spot as you...glass or plastic ? In the end, I asked myself why would I want a glass lens in a toy camera ? The plastic lens is what gives the Holga it's look.

Having said that, I think the quality of the cameras varies because my Holga doesn't vignette a heck of a lot, at least not compared to other Holgas and I'm not inclined to "hand of god" the prints to create that look. I even missed out on the joy of taping the camera up although it was a cheap thrill "breaking" the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    Why not pick up an old Box Brownie for $1? The lens is almost as bad and they leak less.
    I second the Brownie for fuzzy shots. Mine does not vignette, but it sure has a crappy lens that looks great on color slide film.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by papagene
    I have one of each and don't have the time to use either.
    I also have a Zone Zero 6x6 pinhole that goes little used.
    Darn, how do I find more free time!!

gene
    Find it! All to soon, we will "expire", and there will be no rebates or instant savings. Carpe Diem, for tomorrow we die!
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by game
    I know what I want except for one thing: should I take the glass version, or the plastic one?
    I've got both. WOCA is fun - don't let the glass lens fool you, mine is still pretty crummy - but in a good way. Get all the fun vignetting and a nice light leak for added enjoyment - no taping here.

HOLGA is also fun - scuffed up the lens for fun. good vignetting - no horrific light leaks yet.

I also have a box brownie. It's also good clean toy fun, but in a class of it's own.

Take your pick; if the first one's not to your liking, go back and buy another, and another and another until you find one that works for you.

Ben
    Last edited by b1ltr1te; 05-18-2006 at 02:37 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: terrible Grammer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll keep that Box Brownie in mind, but I choose the woco/holga. I liked it instantly, it costs nothing, I don't feel like diving into the whole toy camera world and try to find the 'best' toy camera.
    I believe the Box Brownie uses some exotic film, which I don't like to.
    Anyway, I decided on a holga instead of a Woco. I might buy a woca as well if the seller can combine hipping in a nice way.
    But I'd really think i'd be nice to keep this topic running for a while. I still am not completally sure why one would take glass...
    And what other toy cameras are out there that someone would favor over a holga? I heard the Box Brownie, does everyone agrees on that?

Well, thanks for posting so far, and hopefully some more posts will follow.
    All the best - Sam.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin