Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,495   Online: 669

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

What flash for a Pentax 645?

I'm pretty new to the whole medium format thing. I've got a wedding job to do next month. I'd like to use my Pentax for this but I can't seem to find a flash for this rig. I'll keep my 35mm kit on hand as back up.

I need a flash for a lot of things. I was just down in the rainforest in central America and there's not a lot of light under the canopy. Is there a dedicated flash for this camera? What's everyone else using?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Pentax has a dedicated flashgun for the 645. Check out their website. I myself use a Metz 54MZ-3 zoom flash that, with different adapters, can be used on lots of other cameras. www.metz.de
    Last edited by clogz; 05-17-2006 at 06:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pentax has a few flashes on brackets. I have the AF400T, which can run from AA batteries or a power pack. It's pretty adjustable - both in output and head angle.
    I don't know if you have the 645 or the 645N, but the autofocus mechanism on the 645N can be easily fried if you use a flash that puts too much back to the camera. Yup, been there, done that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just use a metz module. 372 I think. It's the manual focus one for the 645. This way I can use any flash that can take Metz modules. I've got a couple Metz 45s and a small collection of Agfa flashes. This way I've got smaller lighter ones and the big one for when I need lots of power. Basically all of my cameras that can take a dedicated flash work with a metz module. Plus if you buy used the stuff is fairly reasonable.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm using the regular manual focus 645. Will the flashes for the auto focus models work with mine? Would the AF-400T be a good choice for my rig?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The AF400T works well with the 645 and takes advantage of the TTL circuitry. It seems to cycle a bit slowly and would likely do well with a Quantum power source, though.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tested my manual focus 645 with Sigma 500 flashes. Both EF-500 ST and Super-DG works well.
    Pentax camera does not display much info when flash is mounted, but if you select mode "60", then it works.
    Maybe even TTL works, as exposures were 100% correct. I got my 500-ST Sigma non-DG used, and i think it has very good value for me. I used it to photo some events with MZ-3 35mm camera.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin