Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,957   Online: 774

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Zeiss Ikon Folding camera - Has anybody used a cable release

Has anybody had any experience in using a cable release on a Zeiss Ikon.

I have got a Zeiss Ikon 520/16 with a Novar lens which has what looks like a standard cable release thread in the shutter release. But when a standard cable is connected, it is only pushing the centre of the mechanism, and accomplishing nothing. It looks like the whole barrel of the shutter release still needs to be depressed.

Was there a special cable release connection for this camera, or is something not working properly on my model.

This has turned out to be a beauty of a camera, in otherwise immaculate condition. Recently I wanted to experiment with some longer exposures with landscapes but got stumped with this little puzzle.

Look forward to any suggestions

Shooter
    Multi Format
    my standard Kaiser cable release works just fine with my 520/2
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Solved it....... it works perfectly

Tried a different cable release, with a bit more "positive" pressure and it worked first time. The other cable release did not want to trigger it (or I was being too gentle with it).

It's now an even more impressive beauty of a camera.

Thanks for you re-assuring reply

Graham

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the diameter of the internal metal rod that that activates the shutter differs sleightly from one Compur cable relese to another, glad you resolved your problem Graham.
    Ben

Images
    I think some of these older shutters take a longer throw on the cable release.

Brian

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by r-brian
    I think some of these older shutters take a longer throw on the cable release.
    This may be key. I have an Ikomat 515/2 with a press-type shutter; most press shutters (those not requiring manual cocking; every press of the release will fire an exposure) require longer throw on a cable release and may not work with some releases made for more modern cameras.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin