Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,393   Online: 895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Old Rolleiflex Standard

[SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]My "Bargain" Rolleiflex is turning into a Frankenstein project! HELP![/FONT][/SIZE]

I just bought an old Rolleiflex Standard for peanuts, but it seems that I'm the one whose been made a monkey of. The camera doesn't seem to take 120 size film, which dissapoints me because it's in good-enough shape to be a user. Now I'm considering making it into a "project".....

From its serial number (367427), its Tessar 75mm, f3.5 lens in a Rapid Compur (1/500th sec.) shutter, my web research indicates that this model is probably the Rolleiflex Standard "622" from the early 1930's.

My questions are:

1. What film size does this camera take? (I suspect 620, but I'm not sure).

2. Do you think it's worth trying to adapt this camera to 120? (this would mean hacksawing-down the little stud which holds the film spool)

3. Do you know anyone who has made this adaptation?

4. Who in Europe would be able to do such an adaptation for me?

5. What do I risk screwing up if I do this myself?

Any help would be appreciated (including the e'dress of websites of crazy camera do-it-yourselfers who hack-up their Rolleiflex's on the weekend!)

Thanks,

Christopher

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Old Standard does take 120 film. Yours is lever wind, correct? The older knob wind Rolleiflex Original does not take 120 film. It was designed for 117 film though 620 spools fit.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it is 620 size film, easiest would be to buy some 620 film spools off Ebay and re-roll your film (120 is the same as 620, jut different spools) as needed. Sounds like a PITA, but after you've done one or two it's no big deal - esp. if you have any darkroom experience at all. I do that on an old Kodak Medalist I have, and for the minor time it takes I can't see spending hundreds of US dollars to convert to 120.

If it were mine, I don't think I'd want to cobble it up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Aren't there some online shops selling film for classic cameras (I think one of them might be a sponsor here) ? Why don't you buy the right film for this cam ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs
    The Old Standard does take 120 film. Yours is lever wind, correct? The older knob wind Rolleiflex Original does not take 120 film. It was designed for 117 film though 620 spools fit.
    Hi Mike. Kind thanks for the information.

Yes, the camera is lever-wind. However, I just now tried again to jam a 120 spool in, and it absolutely will not fit. Perhaps I mis-named the model. Based upon my serial numbers, lens and shutter, would you happen to know if it is, indeed, an Old Standard?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think we're missing the point here - I own/have owned all three subtypes of Rolleiflex Old Standard and they all take standard 120 film.

620 was invented by Kodak to crate its own 620 based monopoly. Rollei never bought into this marketing scheme.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    Aren't there some online shops selling film for classic cameras (I think one of them might be a sponsor here) ? Why don't you buy the right film for this cam ?
    George, thank you for the advice, but "off sizes" of film are usually --what?-- twice the price as standard sizes. Plus, I have already have a supply of 120.

If I find that the camera takes 620, I might take your sugeestion and shoot several rolls through before I wreck the poor thing with my attempt to modify it.

Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    George, thank you for the advice, but "off sizes" of film are usually --what?-- twice the price as standard sizes. Plus, I have already have a supply of 120.

If I find that the camera takes 620, I might take your suggestion and shoot several rolls through before I wreck the poor thing with my attempt to modify it.

Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs
    I think we're missing the point here - I own/have owned all three subtypes of Rolleiflex Old Standard and they all take standard 120 film.

620 was invented by Kodak to crate its own 620 based monopoly. Rollei never bought into this marketing scheme.
    (First of all --sorry, everybody, for the previous double posts .. I tried deleting the second one to no avail).

Mike,

That's great news. So if my Rolleiflex will take 120 size film, what do you think I'm doing wrong? Could it be the spool size (I'm using some old Agfapan to test with)? NOTE: I've already tried filing a grove into the top of the spool, but this hasn't helped. SECOND NOTE: The same 120 spool does fit into the take-up trough.

I know you have a lot of Rollei experience and I don't want to risk vexxing you, but are you "sure, sure, sure" that it couldn't be 620? (for example, in case I've mis-identified the model I have)

By the way, I wouldn't even bother the whole forum over this if I could just find a 620 spool to test in the camera!

Shooter
    35mm
    Does the possobility exist that this may be a very rare varient and highly collectible that should not be modified?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin