Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,263   Online: 1122

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    I am not an RB user. I am an RZ user. The meter prism can be very useful in three different ways. To take exposure readings, to allow a higher viewpoint when using the camera, to eliminate the left/right reversal offered by the waist level finder. The prism will reduce the magnification compared to the waist level finder and make both focussing and depth of field preview less exact. The image will be somewhat dimmer. The camera will be heavier. The framing is less exact in that it covers a bit less of the viewing screen.
    I do not know if the RB prism allows for auto exposure as does one of the RZ prisms.

One of the biggest benefits of the 6x7 compared to the smaller 120 formats is that the larger ground glass offers easier composition which can be as useful as the larger negative.

I believe that to get the most out of the camera that it spends the majority of its time on a suitable tripod. But this is true of virtually every camera.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    Glad you cleared that up. It will save me trouble in the future

If you can replace this gunk yourself, I recommend it. The two places I inquired, estimated $100-150 (CDN) min, $10 just to look and said it would be at least 2 weeks.
    Well, that may be pretty comparable, but in my book it is close to highway robbery.... I regularly do backs and cameras (MF, 35mm Bulk, and Graflex accessories) as a sideline. Cost for RB backs, including refinishing the winder arm (if the paint is worn) with hard black krinkle is $50-55 US, not including postage. Turnabout time via USPS Priority Mail is about 3-5 working days from receipt of the unit. If interested, PM me...
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    35mm
    I wonder if the foam seal kits that Jon Goodman (aka "interslice" on ebay) sells would have suitable material for resealing it yourself? You could look up interslice on ebay and email him about it to see if his kit woudl work. He's very nice guy & would probably be able to tell you exactly how/what to do for your RB.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Allen
    I wonder if the foam seal kits that Jon Goodman (aka "interslice" on ebay) sells would have suitable material for resealing it yourself?
    Though I've never tried it myself, I've seen it recommended many times by other users.

I still think that a cotton velvet seal is much better and durable than every plastic material. I don't know where to buy some, though, I limit myself to ask for that specific seal to my technician...
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I am not an RB user. I am an RZ user. The meter prism can be very useful in three different ways. [...]

Speaking of prisms, I'm looking around for a prism for my Pro-S. I have no desire for an in-camera meter, so any meter features don't matter to me. I would ideally like a prism finder that I could use at 45-degree angle most of the time (holding up to my face level, but looking slightly down) but could adjust to be at a 0-degree angle (eye-level like a 35mm SLR, or 90-degree difference to the waist-level finder) if need be. I see there's nearly as many prism finders out there as there are lenses, so does someone know if there's anything out there that would fit the bill?

-KwM-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Speaking of prisms, I'm looking around for a prism for my Pro-S. I have no desire for an in-camera meter, so any meter features don't matter to me. I would ideally like a prism finder that I could use at 45-degree angle most of the time (holding up to my face level, but looking slightly down) but could adjust to be at a 0-degree angle (eye-level like a 35mm SLR, or 90-degree difference to the waist-level finder) if need be. I see there's nearly as many prism finders out there as there are lenses, so does someone know if there's anything out there that would fit the bill?
    Two months and no answer. :o

I just found this myself, while searching for another question.

Kevin, I bought a prism, and I had earlier rented a "model 2" prism. Neither of them is 0 or 45 degrees, but in between. They're not adjustable, and I don't know of any that are (I could, as usual, be ignorant). Anyway, the model 2 is supposedly 30 degrees, and my older style appears to be pretty close to that. If you want to try it out sometime, give me a buzz.

Now to my question - I'll put it here before starting new thread.

Are focusing screens all the same? KEH lists some as "ProS". Would the ProS take a different screen than the Pro or the ProSD? Thanks!

David
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    [...]
    Kevin, I bought a prism, and I had earlier rented a "model 2" prism. Neither of them is 0 or 45 degrees, but in between. They're not adjustable, and I don't know of any that are (I could, as usual, be ignorant). Anyway, the model 2 is supposedly 30 degrees, and my older style appears to be pretty close to that. If you want to try it out sometime, give me a buzz.
    [...]

Bzzzzz. I'll catch you at the next diner meet or pre-emptive-almost-got-to-see-some-prints museum event.

-KwM-

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet

-KwM-
    I purchased an CDS Prism for my RB a couple of months ago from KEH. The prism is big and heavy. It weighs just about or more that the RB itself. The image is darker with the prism than with the waistlevel finder. It makes it more difficult for focusing in low light (indoor) conditions. Due to the weight with prism I find myself having to use my RB on a tripod now. This kind of defeats the purpose of having the prism (ease of use with image correction). I noticed that KEH has the CDS prism with non working meter for a relatively low price. I don't know if the prism 2 is any lighter than the CDS prism, it looks nicer though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin