Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,324   Online: 885

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pentacon Six Repair?

I have a dirty old Pentacon Six that needs a CLA. Can anyone recommend a good place to have that done? (Keeping in mind the current price of a P6 ... some of the repair folks want more than it's worth to give it a clean up).

I'd play with it myself, but I have too many cameras in various stages of repair (or disrepair) right now to take on another -- besides, it would be nice if one of them were reliable (now don't start dissing Pentacons).

I have 2 Kiev 6c's and this P6. I like them and enjoy picking up lenses cheap, but the Kievs were beat up when I got 'em and are taking some time to get right ... more time than I have. Also, the 6C's have the shutter release on the left side, too bad I'm right handed - can't get used to it.

Nathan

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Might be easier and cheaper to pick up a couple of Kiev 60s. Other than that, try the kievaholics club for sources, anybody who can service a kiev ought to be able to handle a P6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like he said. OTOH if you can live with 6x4.5 pick up one of the 645 bodies and an adapter ring. Pentax or Mamiya I guess. With the Pentax the lens is always stopped down but you gain gain everything else the body can provide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsmith01tx
    I have a dirty old Pentacon Six that needs a CLA. Can anyone recommend a good place to have that done? (Keeping in mind the current price of a P6 ... some of the repair folks want more than it's worth to give it a clean up).

I'd play with it myself, but I have too many cameras in various stages of repair (or disrepair) right now to take on another -- besides, it would be nice if one of them were reliable (now don't start dissing Pentacons).

I have 2 Kiev 6c's and this P6. I like them and enjoy picking up lenses cheap, but the Kievs were beat up when I got 'em and are taking some time to get right ... more time than I have. Also, the 6C's have the shutter release on the left side, too bad I'm right handed - can't get used to it.

Nathan
    Nathan, I'm very fond of my Pentacon 6 and 6TL cameras.

For repairs in the USA, I can recommend Leonid Treskunov
    9A Poplar La.
    Old Bridge
    New Jersey 08857
    trescam@hotmail.com
    732-679-5805
    Leonid does excellent work. He repaired a Pentacon 6 and a Kiev60 for me after another repair shop had failed.

Also, Praktica Dresden completely reworked a Pentacon 6TL for me. They performed a complete CLA and installed their mirror lock up system. They also installed a new bright screen and improved the winding mechanism (their stop point modification). Their prices were reasonable and the camera is now “like new.”

http://www.praktica.de/index.php?iL=2&iO=0&iM=13&iSM=19

Praktica states:

“Our company has a long tradition and knowledge in the development of cameras. Therefore our current digital and compact models have a lot of well known predecessors. For these older – or let’s call them ‘classical’ – cameras we still provide service. Below you will find a list of models and photo devices we try to repair. Nonetheless you better check back with our support team before you send the camera for a repair since the replacement parts are getting less.”

Go to the URL (below) and then click on Contact:

http://www.praktica.de/index.php?iL=2&iO=0&iM=13&iSM=18
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Tom, sorry I missed your reply until now.

I'm also thinking of just skipping the repair and buying an MLU Kiev 60 body from Hartblei or Arax ... depending on shipping it looks like it could wind up costing the same as having the Pentacon Six repaired. Never fear, it will get repaired one of these days in any case - but it would be nice to have a totally reworked and accurate camera, especially with the MLU.

Any thoughts on that option?

Nathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsmith01tx
    Thanks Tom, sorry I missed your reply until now.

I'm also thinking of just skipping the repair and buying an MLU Kiev 60 body from Hartblei or Arax ... depending on shipping it looks like it could wind up costing the same as having the Pentacon Six repaired. Never fear, it will get repaired one of these days in any case - but it would be nice to have a totally reworked and accurate camera, especially with the MLU.

Any thoughts on that option?

Nathan
    Nathan, I have a Kiev 60 (the standard Arsenal version) it had some shutter problems which were corrected by Leonid Treskunov. I have learned how to fix Kiev 60 frame spacing problems myself.

All in all, I find that I like my Pentacon 6TL better than my Kiev 60.

I also have an ARAX-CM-MLU (about twice the price of an ARAX-60/MLU). I like my ARAX-CM-MLU and I have had a good relationship with ARAX. I needed to send a malfuctioning camera back to Kiev for a warranty repair - no problem.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm very happy with my Arax/Kiev 88CM. The Kiev 60 I have I bought from a US seller on the auction site several years ago. Other than the frame spacing it has worked perfectly, and a little tape on the leader or the spool fixes the spacing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nathan

I'd get the camera repaired - at least that way you have a known good camera. I had my P6 serviced by a guy in Holland while I was still living there. Whilst I never had frame spacing issues, I did get him to fit a film wind indicator, and he also fitted a Kiev focusing screen.

I did some slow speed tests on a fairly lightweight tripod (1/25 to 1s) and didn't notice mirror vibration to be a problem (caveat: I only tested with the 80mm lens though). I did speak to him about MLU or even a mirror brake, and he said in his opinion the P6 didn't really need it as the mirror was fairly well damped. He said the Kiev 6x certainly does benefit.

Having handled both the P6 and Kiev, I much prefer the feel of the P6.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin