Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,782   Online: 731

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Manfrotto 055 ProB and rarely use the centre-column for normal shooting, but...

There are times when I want to get the camera positioned unusually i.e. off to one side of the tripod, really close to the ground, etc. If I really can't achieve this in any other way then I'll either invert the centre column or (more often) set it at right angles. For this versatility, I wouldn't be without it.

I almost never use it to add or control height.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like FrankB, I also have a Manfrotto 055 ProB, and agree that the centre column is very useful for getting really low - in such cases I set it horizontally. But I always keep the ballhead as close to the tripod as possible, ie. extend the column as little as possible. At full length it's totally useless. Consequently, I have cut column to about 1/3 of the original length, which makes it easier to handle, and also saves a few grams of weight.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good point, knutb. Also worth mentioning that this technique can destabilise the tripod by moving the centre of gravity off to one side. If you're not careful you can end up with a lens in the mud!

I haven't shortened the centre column though. When it's horizontal I try and use it as close to the 'pod as possible, but if I absolutely can't get the shot any other way I reckon it's worth a frame or two at full stretch on the off-chance I get lucky (it happens from time to time). I try not to think about the extra weight...!
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for the posts guys.

a few things. I think I can get low enough by setting legs @ maximum angle. the lack of a center column will allow the tripod to go even lower than I am used to.
    I also noticed a lot of people mantioning the weight loss a column lkess tripod will give. But isn't weight what you need? Don;t get my wrong. I would not mind carring less, But weight is essential for stability right...?

Last thing:

The tripod I can buy is a FOBA alfae. (the alfea is in fact the column that comes with it) But I can buy the tripod only, so without the (alfea) column.
    Can anyone say wether I should buy the foba? Seems like a top tripod. Only objection was the lack of column, hence this topic.

Like to hear about all this (especially my last point )

thanks SAM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    If you're not careful you can end up with a lens in the mud!
    Yes, and when a very costly camera and lens set-up goes mud-surfing suddenly that $1000 Ries Tripod with the double-tilt head doesn't seem all that expensive, or heavy..... :o
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sam,

Many of the Gitzo tripods (as well as other makes) include a hook (the new ones with a retractable hook) at the end of the center column (and transferrable to the short column). You can add extra weight to the tripod by hanging a weight such as your camera bag, rocks, etc. This adds weight (mass) to the tripod. It is better to have the weight sitting on the ground but attached to the hook. It is not a good idea however, to allow the weight to swing in the wind since this forms the simple harmonic motion of a pendulum.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Center columns are great when photographing people. As someone said it's handy for small adjustments but when photographing people, the less time that you're mucking around with equipment and fussing with the legs of tripods the better off you are.

The subject should be the center of your attention and not your toys.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This is a timely thread as I'm considering a purchase of a Gitzo tripod soon for use with my LF cameras. I currently use a Manfrotto 475 with geared column (it weighs about 9 lbs by itself).
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Manfrotto-made Bogen 3021 with a center column and a Gitzo 1340 (I think) with no center column. The Bogen tripod is a little short for me so I adjust the center column about 3-4 inches to have the camera at a comfortable eyelevel. The Gitzo extends well above my eye level and I don't miss the center column at all. In fact, the Gitzo flattens out to ground level conveniently while the Bogen center column doesn't allow this.

I've owned a Bogen with a crank adjustable center column. It was wonderfully adjustable but it was big and heavy, heavy, heavy.

I like the Gitzo w/o center column better but that's what works best for me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin