Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,228   Online: 895

Shooter
    Multi Format

A new guy in the MF world

Wellcome me into the world of medium format
    My camera has arrived today.

It's a Seagull 109. I expected it to be a lousy shoebox of a camera, though it feels quite sophisticated in the hands. But maybe that's just the first impression.

I've learned everything there is to learn about handling it in 10 minutes. It's pretty simple and intuitive.

Some people have complained about winding mechanism on the seagull. It doesn't feel that heavy, and it doesn't make noise. Maybe it does on older models, I don't know I've never seen any seagull exept this one before and this one is the best and latest model.

With some practice, loading film isn't much of a problem, but it's also not as easy and fast as loading 35mm, but then this is not a load and shoot in a second camera anyway, nor did I expect it to use it in that way (I still got my minolta SLR for that)
    I never knew loading a roll of 120 film can be such a satisfaction.
    Loading a 135 roll is really an anti-climax, you unpack it, and then you just put it in there, and its over too fast.
    when loading a 120 roll, it feels like you are working, lol, like you did something..

Focusing is much harder than with a SLR, so I think I'll stick with smaller apertures.

The lens is supose to perform best at f11 and f16 anyway, we'll see

So far I've taken only one picture, and it feels like I've shot an entire roll, due to so much time I've spent carefully framing, focusing, metering with my SLR, setting up lights etc.
    It seems such a simplistic MF cameras as this one makes one more carefull and patient, plus only 12 frames per roll makes you think carefully about each shot, which raises the number of successfull shots to almost 100%
    There is great value in all that for me, and I'm supose to be an impatient youngster.

On one place the black sticky wrap thing (the thing that the whole camera is covered with) is a bit loose on one corner around one knob, but nothing serious, just needs some more glue.

Other than that, there are no signs of bad built quality,the camera seems to be well crafted and the lenses were clean out of the box.
    We'll see how mechanically well built it is, but for now everything is working and runs smooth.

The shutter is quiet, very quiet, all the way from 1s to 1/500s.
    In fact what you hear is the button being pressed, the button makes a soft metalic noise (even when the shutter is not cocked), and that's all you hear, there is no separate sound that I can hear comming from the shutter itself.

My first roll loaded (after the already-ruined old EPR practice roll) was a roll of Kodak EPP. My first picture was a portrait of my grandmother with some tungsten hotlights (with Rosco cinegels for color balance). I really can't wait to get it developed.
    Next week I'm going to buy some Provia or E100G to try it out with some more high-tech films

Oh, and I'll be proudly switching to "multi-format" in the user settings of the forum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats - I am glad I am not alone in my feelings of "mystical experience" when handling 120 film - I can only imagine how I will feel when I finally get that LF rig...
    I think you touch on a very interesting point (one that I have heard mentioned before ): it seems that a smaller number of frames makes you take more care with each shot, put more thought into it. Not that 35mm does not have a wonderful place in my photography, and God knows - sometimes the ability to "snap away" is not only great to have but sometimes needed. But you have to like that different approach of MF!

Post some pictures!

Peter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Forget it you're hooked!! It's all downhill from here-and go and enjoy every minute of it.
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations on the move to medium format. We should start the official timer to see how long it takes before you announce your move to 4x5.

I say this only half in jest...

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's started. 4x5 by christmas. Printimg 120 is a joy. Congrats.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best wishes with it all. I found when I moved to MF, it really slowed me down. the more I shoot with it, the easier it is... and as said above... prinintg MF negs is a joy. Big fun!! I reach for it far more frequently than 35mm!

And don't you just love licking the little sticky??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to MF. The points you make about thinking about composition and valuing every shot are what I really enjoy about MF. I have got into dev and print because of the larger negs, if you do I am sure you will enjoy it.
    I have one suggestion .. get a cheap meter from the auction site. I have a 40 year old Weston , works wonderfully and cost £3/$5. The only problem then will be working out why you need the SLR :-)

Enjoy; CJB

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Use it in good health, and I'd love to see some pictures by the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to the world of the 'square'! I love the square format, and have from the very beginning when I got my Hassy. Have a great time with your new camera, and can't wait to see some pics!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin