Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,070   Online: 793

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TLR DoF DOA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

TLR DoF DOA

I've recently started using a Mamiya C330S TLR for a lot of my shots, and the lack of a depth of field preview facility is really causing me grief.

The focus scale is (IMHO) next to useless, so even the DOFMaster program I have for my Palm PDA isn't much of a help. Throw in that I'm used to working with 35mm instead of 6x6 (and that a 6x6 80mm 'feels' to me like a 135 50mm, etc.) and time and again I'm finding that the depth of field has tripped me up, even if I attempt to focus hyperfocally. For selective DoF shots the reliability of my cackhandedness nears 100%!

All you TLR shooters (especially Mamiya interchangeable lens users) - How do you manage? Any tips you can offer?
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make sure you find out whether the distance scale is in feet or metres, then try and get a copy of the Mamiya instruction manual which includes the DOF scales. I have found them to be perfectly adequate for purpose.

Good luck!

Lachlan

JJC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Frank,

DOF charts are available from Mamiya's site at http://www.mamiya.com/assets/pdfs/tw...h-of-Field.pdf

For the 80mm lens I've found that I need to stop down 1-2 stops more to get the same dof I was used to from a standard lens on a 35mm camera. The distance scale on my C330f is in meters, and isn't too bad until I get around the last distance mark before infinity. At that point, I find it better to visually estimate, or pace off the distance, and then use the charts. For my photos, I usually am content to have a little more dof if I'm unsure, but it sounds like you are looking for some fairly fine precision. There is a 105mm DS lens for the Mamiya that has dof preview on the viewing lens, if using the charts doesn't allow you to visualize the way you want to.

I hope I've helped a little.

JJC
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Jim Horning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    I've recently started using a Mamiya C330S TLR
    I think this explains your problem. MF technique is very different from that for 35mm. Once you are completely familiar with the 330 I think your problems will disappear.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have no experience with a Mamiya C330. I have considerable experience with an RZ 67. The DOF scales are virtually unusable to me. Of course the camera has depth of field preciew and a very nice viewing system.

The most common DOF scales have been set using a 4x5 print as a standard.

Any camera takes a while to use with skill, Perseverance is in order.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    D.O.F. scales can be found on grahams site:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patte...-contents.html

Focus about a third of the way into the scene, which is not always on the subject, and use the tables to estimate front and back focus points. The bigger the planned enlargment the shallower the apparent D.O.F. therefore use a smaller aperture to compensate.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    I think this explains your problem. MF technique is very different from that for 35mm. Once you are completely familiar with the 330 I think your problems will disappear.
    I think you've probably nailed it there, Gerald.

Thanks for all the responses. As I mentioned, I have a program called DOFmaster for the Palm which is the equivalent of DOF tables. I understand about hyperfocal focussing too, and where to place to point of focus within the field.

I think it's just a lack of familiarity with the format, compounded by the lacknof DOF preview on the TLR. I may look into getting a laser rangefinder (although these are pricey in the UK) but mainly it's probably a case of practice, practice, practice!

Thanks again.

Frank
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    DOF scales and charts are useful once you get the hang of it and decide what you regard as "sharp" relative to the scale. I usually stop down one or two stops from the recommendation of the scale (any scale, any format).

I consider f:11 to be a good medium range aperture for medium format, as I would consider f:8 to be for 35mm or f:22 for 4x5", so if you find yourself stopped down to f:11-22 for what you want, don't think it's unusual. That's just normal.

Meanwhile, experiment with selective focus at wide apertures. That's part of the fun of medium and large format!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ironically, the distance scales used on the C33 and C22 were better than the ones on the C330 bodies. The problem is that the C330 rod measures lens extension directly. Helical mount lenses expand the scale by using a lot of rotational travel for little forward travel.

Experience is the best thing. If you use a laser rangefinder remember to focus the camera on your chosen point by eye - the scale is nothing like accurate enough.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    I think it's just a lack of familiarity with the format, compounded by the lacknof DOF preview on the TLR. I may look into getting a laser rangefinder (although these are pricey in the UK) but mainly it's probably a case of practice, practice, practice!
    Frank, what kind of photographs are you taking? You're the first one I met who relies on the DOF preview. I always use it to see if the background is blurred enough, NEVER ABSOLUTELY to check how much something is IN focus. Plus, a roll meter for close ups and guessing for long distances are more than sufficient in most cases! Why do you think you need a laser telemeter?
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin