Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,689   Posts: 1,669,385   Online: 806

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre R. de Avillez
    Euan,

If I were in your place, and my budget allowed, I'd go with a Bronica S or S2, or S2a.
    The S2a is much preferred of those three because the gears in it are made of bronze instead of plastic and are much more reliable and robust.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    The S2a is much preferred of those three because the gears in it are made of bronze instead of plastic and are much more reliable and robust.
    Sort of. The S2a has steel gearing, and the earlier models have brass gearing.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello Euan,

I've got a Bronica SQ with Waist Level Finder, hand crank, and standard PS 80mm lens. Nothing fancy but I enjoy using it. I do a lot of 35mm with a Pentax ME super, so I'm not worried about bells and whistles. In its simple form I find the Bronica slows me down and makes me think about what I want; Its also quite light to carry around even with a tripod. The Broni looks a good bet to me. ( mine cost £200 including 2 backs )

Regards Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Sort of. The S2a has steel gearing, and the earlier models have brass gearing.
    Right, I knew it was something along those line. I've never seen one of those mythical creatures so I had to draw on fading memory of web info I've encountered. Kinda funny it took them so long to get it right.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eubielicious
    Hi all,

Having bought a 4x5 camera and sold my Rolleicord (as well as a Zeiss Ikon folder), I now find myself wishing for something a bit more portable on a day-to-day basis.

I don't want to go back to 35mm, and don't want to spend a lot of money either (with a wedding and house move coming up, I need to be tight), so have been looking at Bronica ETRS systems and Pentacon SLR's on ebay.

I'd love to know if anyone has any thoughts on either of these...

Euan
    I have owned a number of medium format SLRs, including Bronica S, S2 and S2A, Pentacon 6, and several Kievs, including the Kiev 66 and the Kiev 88 CM.

My personal opinion is that the Kiev 88 CM is the best of these cameras, plus there are lots of very good inexpensive lenses out there for it. At the same price I would take an 88 CM over a Bronica S2A any day, both because of the wide range of inexpensive lenses and the modern TTL prism. And age. Bronica S2As go back to the early 70s, and many were used professionally and have a lot of wear internally, even if they don't show it outside.

But, to be fair, the Nikkor lenses for the Bronica were really excellent, certaily on a par with the better Zeiss lenses you can buy for the Kiev 88 CM.

Whatever you decide, it is hard to lose at today's prices for this equipment since some of it is dirt cheap, especially the Kiev stuff, so with the big negative and quality you can get a lot of bang for the buck.

BTW, just for clarification, the Kiev 88 CM is the most modern version of the Kiev 88. In contrast to earlier Kiev 88 cameras, it has a cloth focal plane shutter and a lens mount that takes Pentacon 6 type lenses, including lots of great Zeiss optics. It is a much superior camera to older Kiev 88s.

Sandy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Pentacon might give you more than you bargained for - lots of repair bills. Stick with Bronica for a safer choice. Why not the SQA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandeep
    The Pentacon might give you more than you bargained for - lots of repair bills. Stick with Bronica for a safer choice. Why not the SQA.
    I'll second that. The SQA(-i) is a great camera. I had one with which I parted due to stupidity.
    Cheers, Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never had a Bronica. I have used a Pentacon 6tl for about ten years and have had NO trouble with it whatsoever. (Oops, shouldn't have said that -now it will probably self-destruct) Load the film properly and there won't be any film transport problems. It's a little quirky, and won't take abuse, but there are lots of wonderful CHEAP lenses for it.

Rick.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you get an older camera, whether Pentacon 6, Bronica S2/S2A or even a Hassy, you should bank on getting a CLA. Maybe with a more modern Bronica SQ-A/B it isn't so necessary.

I had a full CLA on my P6, including a new brighter focusing screen with microprism collar from a Kiev 6 and a film wind indicator (a precautionary measure since I had not had any frame spacing problems). According to the guy that did the CLA, many frame spacing problems are through incorrect film loading, but he did also say that some film brands are more prone to cause problems than others.

The big advantage of a Pentacon 6 is the large range of affordable lenses (especially wides) and other accessories. This was the main reason for me going with the Pentacon as opposed to the Bronica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by P C Headland
    The big advantage of a Pentacon 6 is the large range of affordable lenses (especially wides) and other accessories. This was the main reason for me going with the Pentacon as opposed to the Bronica.

In today's market the difference between Bronica ETR lenses and P6 lenses is very small. Some times the Bronica lenses are even cheaper.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin