Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,365   Online: 1039

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Lenses for the S2a system are also quite cheap. I don't know that they are more or less than Pentacon lenses at the moment. Same goes for backs and other accessories.

When I bought my Pentacon in Poland in the late 1980s, I got a system with four lenses for about $135, which was approximately 4 months average salary in most East Bloc countries and China at the time. When I came home I traded it for $500 in credit toward a Norman lighting setup, which was about what you could get for a Pentacon system at the time in the U.S. Most of the New York dealers I showed it to at the time didn't know what to offer for it, but they knew that the 50/4 Flektagon was something interesting.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It the little things or the rare things that are expensive for the ETR now. Things like rear lens caps. It's almost cheaper to buy a lens with caps then just the cap :rolleyes: Or the 135 wide back.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Lenses for the S2a system are also quite cheap. I don't know that they are more or less than Pentacon lenses at the moment. Same goes for backs and other accessories.
    Lenses for almost all medium format SLRs are quite cheap these days. I just purchased a new Pentax 67II and, although the camera itself caught quite a bit of change, I have been very pleasantly surprirsed to see how inexpensive lenses (or at least many of them) are for this camera. For less than $500 I managed to pick up 55mm, 165mm, 200mm and 300mm lenses for this camera, all in EX condition (except the 55mm).

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Lenses for almost all medium format SLRs are quite cheap these days. I just purchased a new Pentax 67II and, although the camera itself caught quite a bit of change, I have been very pleasantly surprirsed to see how inexpensive lenses (or at least many of them) are for this camera. For less than $500 I managed to pick up 55mm, 165mm, 200mm and 300mm lenses for this camera, all in EX condition (except the 55mm).

Sandy
    Con gratulations with your new camera Sandy
    A 165 and a 200 mm. I'm thinking about one of those (mostly the 165mm) but have some trouble deciding so an update on perfomance and usability would be nice.
    Cheers, Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    Con gratulations with your new camera Sandy
    A 165 and a 200 mm. I'm thinking about one of those (mostly the 165mm) but have some trouble deciding so an update on perfomance and usability would be nice.
    Cheers, Søren
    OK, I am taking this camera system with me on a trip of about 1.5 months to the western part of the US, and to Alberta and BC in Canada and will try to provide a report on system analysis.

System testing of resolution of the Pentax 6711 may prove complicated because of the issue of vibrations introduced by mirror slap and shutter release. I did some preliminary comparison of the Pentax 6711 with my Fuji GW690III at slow speeds, on a very stury tripod, and the Fuji really had it all over the Pentax 6711 at speeds of less than 1/30 second.

Sandy

Shooter
    35mm
    I recently picked up a Bronica ETRS body, prism, back and speedgrip for $125 off Ebay. Now I'm in the process of shopping for a lens. The most common lengths -- 75, 150, 50 -- go for a song. The less common for only a little bit more. I painstakingly compared prices between KEH (which I love and trust -- always buy BGN grade stuff from them with no complaints) and Ebay. In most cases KEH is the same or cheaper than Ebay and includes warranty; however, occasionally you can find something that turns up on Ebay for such a cheap price that it's worth taking a risk as it was in my case.

Since it's a modular system, there's no harm in buying one or two components off Ebay if you happen upon an extraordinarily good deal, and then filling out the rest of the system on KEH. I personally wouldn't bother with the older Bronica S or EC cameras to save money unless you just especially want one -- they are around the same price as the ETR series. The Bronica SQ cameras are only slightly more than the ETR series, but not quite as much to choose from in the used market. Bottom line: $300 will easily get you a kit...less if you are a little patient on Ebay.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Allen
    I recently picked up a Bronica ETRS body, prism, back and speedgrip for $125 off Ebay. Now I'm in the process of shopping for a lens. The most common lengths -- 75, 150, 50 -- go for a song. The less common for only a little bit more. I painstakingly compared prices between KEH (which I love and trust -- always buy BGN grade stuff from them with no complaints) and Ebay. In most cases KEH is the same or cheaper than Ebay and includes warranty; however, occasionally you can find something that turns up on Ebay for such a cheap price that it's worth taking a risk as it was in my case.
    I decided to put this purchase on hold until we've moved house. In the meantime I've picked up a v. cheap Zeiss Ikon folder off ebay for 8 quid, to give me a carry-about camera.

I noticed one of the second hand dealers here in the UK (KP Professional) were selling some ETRS systems and some SQ-A ones and the SQ-A's were cheaper than the ETRS ones. Very tempting but with upcoming wedding and move (and all the finances involved there), it's currently not on. Still, those kinds of cameras will still be about when I'm ready to buy...

Euan

Nes

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Theres a lens test between Bronika, Exakta, Hasselblad and the Pentacon lenses at: http://www.kievaholic.com/lenstests2.html Personally I'd say that if you want Rollei/Hasselblad lens quality you buy a Pentacon. I have two colleagues, one who mainly works on Hasselblad, and the other who mainly work on Rollei, and both have a Pentacon camera they use inbetween, and both have equal amounts of problems telling the diffrence when looking at the images.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am using Kiev 60 and I am quite happy with it. It takes all the Carl Zeiss Jena lens, does not have the notorious film transport problem of Penacon, has much brighter and bigger focusing screen and is quite reliable. The only modification I have made is flocking the mirror chamber. The CZJ lens are beautiful and there are some Russian lens that are also very good (for example Vega-28b 120/2.8) and quite cheap.

Best regards
    luben

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin