Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,575   Online: 968

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Air Cable Release

I have one of those 20' air cable releases with the squeeze bulb. I bought this many years ago and it's never worked right. What happens is when you squeeze the bulb it will work for one exposure, but then air won't get back in the bulb for another exposure. I have to unplug the bulb to fill it with air again. Very inconvenient to the point of not wanting to use it. Most of the time you have to really squeeze hard and fast to get it to fire. Does anyone know of a high quality model that doesn't have these problems? Maybe one like the bulbs you find on blood pressure testing thingies (sorry, I'm not a doctor or I'd be shooting Leica instead of Nikon). Can one of those be adapted to work as a shutter release?
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an air cable release made by Hama. Works perfectly. Not sure if Hama still makes them. This one sold by Adorama looks a lot like it. http://www.adorama.com/CZCRA.html

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz
    I have an air cable release made by Hama. Works perfectly. Not sure if Hama still makes them. This one sold by Adorama looks a lot like it. http://www.adorama.com/CZCRA.html
    Hans,
    That's exactly the one I have. Have you experienced any of the problems I mentioned?
    Ara

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi ara

i had one of those too. i bought it at sbi/hunts, and it never really worked right. last year i broke down and bought a degroff air release. it cost quite a bit of money, but it is pretty amazing. works every time.

mine was new, purchased from a store in IL, but you can buy direct from degroff, or you can find olde ones on FEEBay that will work with surgical hose and a blood pressure bulb.

good luck!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John,
    You weren't kidding when you said they were "quite a bit of money". It's $80 from B&H. I'm sure it's well worth it.
    Ara

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just out of curiosity, guys, why do you use air realease cables? I've never had the need to get far enough from the camera to go beyond the length of my mechanical cable release. I do strictly outdoor work, things that don't move or talk back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kahn
    Just out of curiosity, guys, why do you use air realease cables? I've never had the need to get far enough from the camera to go beyond the length of my mechanical cable release. I do strictly outdoor work, things that don't move or talk back.
    Bill,
    I did a group portrait of my family (including myself) a few weeks ago and I used the air release to fire the shutter on my Hasselblad. A self timer would have worked out better, but there isn't one on a Blad. The bulb was so difficult to squeeze and fire that I think there was an obvious look of tension on my face in all the shots.
    Ara

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hey ara

it looks like talyns still has some.
    i bought mine from them last year ...
    http://www.tallyns.com/tpp/amazing/searchresult.asp?CartId=EVEREST{C901C592-0EB8-430D-BD38-B78395FB43D4}

was expensive, as i said, but i will never have to replace my shutter release again ( went through 3 of those cheep-0 kalt releases in a year or so ... ) the ones from ebay are engraved-brass and about 80-100 years old. they will work, but it is a matter of finding one, cause they aren't always being sold ...

hi bill.

i use a wollensak studio shuttter and a regular release won't work on those.
    i have a cloth covered release, it "works" but studio shutters work best and you will get a nice fast exposure ( 1/20th, instead of 1/5 or 1/10S ) with an air bulb. for outside - i use a cloth covered release.

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ara,
    Although I have not used this air release cable a lot it has always given me good service. Perhaps you have one that was made on a Monday morning. Who knows?
    Regards
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a DeGroff air release that I got with some other equipment, and it's pretty good. I hadn't realized they were so expensive. I've got old portrait lenses that use air releases, so I have a couple of bulbs and hoses.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin