Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,435   Online: 822

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Mat124 and cable release

Hi to all,

this combo has caused trouble several times, releasing with the cable made the film transport doing funning things, getting stuck first , then not releasing again, quite weird. Comes from the shutter obviously.

I heard of such probs in the past, forgot the reasons tho.
    Can it be solved ? Another cable maybe, not intruding so deep ?
    I mean I really NEED that release with this camera, makes that pob annoying.

Thanks for all advices !!

Bertra,
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not sure I follow you... using the shutter release is stopping the film transport from advancing? I've never had a problem with a standard cable release on the 124G. Have you tried it with a different cable release?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have had quite a few Yashica Mats apart, so I think I can shed some light on this subject...

The act of tripping the shutter actuates a lever on the lens mount which pushes down the mechanism on the camera body which releases the film transport crank. It's possible for the cable release pin to be long enough to trip the shutter but not long enough to release the winder. Therefore, you actually need a cable release that extends FARTHER.

Alternatively, but not so convenient, you could push the whole shutter release button by hand, after you have made the exposure, to release the winder. A pain, admittedly, but it should work until you can get a longer cable release.

Good luck!

Russ
    R.L. Sisco
    MSgt, USAF, Retired

Do you have an
    Electro 35 or other
    Yashica that you
    would like Refurbished?
    Check out:
    www.camerarefurb.com

My Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just received a 124 Mat this last week and had the same problem but without using a cable release. I needed to push the button all the way in to get the film advanced released. Pushing lightly get's the shutter released, but not the wind on.

Btw, I find it weird that you have to return the crank back to folded position to get the shutter to release. It must be magnetic?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Btw, I find it weird that you have to return the crank back to folded position to get the shutter to release. It must be magnetic?
    You don't. Folding the crank has no affect other than getting it out of your way...

Russ
    R.L. Sisco
    MSgt, USAF, Retired

Do you have an
    Electro 35 or other
    Yashica that you
    would like Refurbished?
    Check out:
    www.camerarefurb.com

My Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by b1bmsgt
    You don't. Folding the crank has no affect other than getting it out of your way...

Russ
    Absoutely not in my case. I've tried on numerous occasions and numerous ways and the only way the shutter releases is to fold the crank back where it goes. Go figure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, maybe we are talking about two different things...

After you wind the film and it stops, you do indeed have to reverse the crank back to it's starting position before you can shoot. However, folding the crank down until the handle goes into the hole does nothing internally. If you can't shoot until the crank is folded down into the hole, then it is either an amazing coincidence or perhaps your camera is posessed by evil spirits or something...

Regards,

Russ
    R.L. Sisco
    MSgt, USAF, Retired

Do you have an
    Electro 35 or other
    Yashica that you
    would like Refurbished?
    Check out:
    www.camerarefurb.com

My Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My older mat 124 is the same way, you don't need to fold the crank, but you do need to reverse it to the start position. Is there a way to make these take multiple exposures?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is there a way to make these take multiple exposures?
    Unfortunately, no.

Russ
    R.L. Sisco
    MSgt, USAF, Retired

Do you have an
    Electro 35 or other
    Yashica that you
    would like Refurbished?
    Check out:
    www.camerarefurb.com

My Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a funny coincidence. I recently discovered that my Yashica Mat 124 also has troubles with a cable release. Not in that the winder mechs get muffled, but that the cable release will not trip the shutter. The only way to trip the shutter is to push the button.

I have 2 cables, both of the locking sort. They look like they have a pretty good length to the pin. Is there anything else that can be the problem? Would anyone here know about that?

-Tammy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin