Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,474   Posts: 1,644,315   Online: 1054

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See if you would like: www.pentaconsix.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My vote is for fixed lens Yashica 124 or if you want interchangabel lens a Mamyia C220 or even C33.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    TTL is a deal killer for 6x6.

But in case you can get over that, take a look at some old agfa and zeiss folders.
    For 6x6 TTL there are the Kiev/Arax/Hartblei cameras and the Pentacon 6TL, etc.

And if you want the Holga effect, you can use an extension tube and mount a piece of plastic for a lens.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    TTL is a deal killer for 6x6.

But in case you can get over that, take a look at some old agfa and zeiss folders.
    When you say "folder" you mean one where the lens folds into the body?
    Like the Mamyia 6?
    Those have interchangeable lenes right?
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    When you say "folder" you mean one where the lens folds into the body?
    Like the Mamyia 6?
    Those have interchangeable lenes right?
    Brian
    The old (1950s) Mamiya 6 folding cameras didn't have interchangeable lenses - the newer Mamiya 6 folding cameras do.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I have been using a Holga for several years now and LOVE the square format.
    I love it so much that I am thinking about moving to a "real camera", as it were, in this format.
    Trouble is I don't what's out there that is priced somewhere inbetween the two.
    My only requirement would be TTL mettering.
    Is there an reasonably 6x6 camera out there?
    Thanks!!
    Brian
    I'm going in the market for a Bronica medium format SLR when funds permit (probably after we move to Scotland), but at the moment, I'm getting a Zeiss Ikon folder to keep me going on the MF front...

I know that you're probably after something more sophisticated, but it's worth looking at a late model Rolleicord. The quality of the optics is well worth considering, before I sold most of my equipment before moving house, I had an earlier model (with the Triotar lens) and got some good use out of it.

Euan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know you say you are after TTL metering but it really is no big deal if you don't have it. It does slow you down and make you think about things and an old selenium meter can be had for pennies.
    Look on e-bay or a dealer for cheap tlrs, they are at a price that if you don't like them you can re sell at negligible loss and try something else.

Just my two pennorth.

CJB

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've a Hasselblad 503cx with ttl. After buying the 503cx with back, waistlevel and 80mm planar (all used, bargain from keh) I have no money left over for a flash.
    Sigh. Well, it's not that bad. I survive just fine with a plain old flash and my flash meter. Actually, I prefer it as I can kind of do the 'flash math' in my head.
    Plus it slows me down, which can be good for particular subjects.

I had a plain old Tower reflex, 6x6. Took beautiful images when the lens was stopped down to f8. I mean, sharp as a tack. The finder wasn't the brightest as it was a plain ground glass. I took that camera with me everywhere. Dropped it in the snow. It's a fine camera. It does have a red window film advance. I don't mind that.

I also had a Ricoh Auto 225 with a beautiful fresnel screen, rollei-like advance (that was broken internally) sharp lens, etc. That would have made a great camera.. Plus a built in selenium meter too.

If you don't mind 6x7 and a rangefinder, a Koni Omega might be a good option to consider.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are moving up from a Holga almost anything will blow your socks off optically. If you are insistent about the TTL, then I would go with the Bronicas or a souped up Kiev, though you need to recognize that the meters on the latter are not coupled to the shutters, so using the meter doesn't speed work much, if at all. Someone else can tell you whether this is an issue for the Bronicas. I never used the meter on my Kiev 60, and didn't even bother to get one on my Arax.

Before makig that kind of investment, I would suggest trying an older folder and an old TLR to see which method of composition you prefer. Then move on to a rangefinder, better TLR, or SLR as suits you. There is more advice than you can digest on Robert Monaghan's web site http://medfmt.8k.com/. For TLRs, it is hard to go wrong with the Ciroflexes, Yashicas, Flexarets, 'cords, and many others in the under $100 range. Seems everyone but Nikon and Canon made a TLR in the 50s - Monaghan shows a list from Modern Photography in 1956 of 32 models from 5 countris . The choices in folders are almost endless, but the two Russian Zeiss copies, the Moskva and the Iskra, offer good value for the price, with good optics and couple rangefinders, though somewhat shoddy cosmetics. Note: the Moskva is left handed, so that may be an issue.

Be forewarned, the old folders can be seductive. They look beautiful and people will walk up to you on the street and ask about them (to a lesser degree this is true of TLRs as well - and old press and field cameras will actually attract groups). You may develop a lust for the old folders and their soft leather and bright chrome - but I digress.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Come to think of it, what medium format cameras are not between a Holga and a Hasselblad. I guess on the low end we could list things like the cheaper plastic Brownies and their competitors, though many of those have flash synch and no leaks. On the other end? Maybe something like the RZ67? Or the Horseman VH-R and its ancestors (you don't want to know what I paid for my 980 kit)? A medium format Linhoff? Thoughts anyone?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin