Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,844   Posts: 1,582,666   Online: 1088

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    Be forewarned, the old folders can be seductive. They look beautiful and people will walk up to you on the street and ask about them (to a lesser degree this is true of TLRs as well - and old press and field cameras will actually attract groups). You may develop a lust for the old folders and their soft leather and bright chrome - but I digress.
    Definately. I started out with a Kodak folder just for kicks but once I got my first quality folder, a 1937 model Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/16, that takes drop dead GORGEOUS 645 negatives with a little help from me. The Anastigmat lens is pretty darn sharp and I put the 80mm lens on the enlarger and pulled the thing all the way up to the largest setting and focused it. I could make poster sized images that were sharp as a tack from this old classic.

Now I just need to see if I want to fix that Ansco Speedex or not.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mamiya C330 and a hand meter.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone for your informative responses!
    I have learned a lot!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Norita 66.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    For TLRs, it is hard to go wrong with the Ciroflexes, Yashicas, Flexarets, 'cords, and many others in the under $100 range.
    Rollei anything for under $100 used? Not if you want it to work (or I'm looking in the wrong places). The Flexarets look interesting and I may have to pick one up at some time, but that's after the current projects are finished. One of those is a very early Rolleiflex from somewhere around 1929 (I think), hopefully the optics aren't as trashed as the leather.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ikoflex TLRs are decent too. Rolleicord in terms of operation, but built like a tank. I've had two prewar Ikoflexes with uncoated Tessars and a postwar with a coated Novar. I keep getting them on trades for camera repair! (I'm really a diehard Rolleiflex man)

See here for a shot I just posted in another thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...6&page=4&pp=10

This here was a prewar Ikoflex II with lever focus and an uncoated CZJ Tessar 75/3.5. As good as my prewar Rolleiflex Automat in terms of results, cost under $100.

If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E
    Rollei anything for under $100 used? Not if you want it to work (or I'm looking in the wrong places). The Flexarets look interesting and I may have to pick one up at some time, but that's after the current projects are finished. One of those is a very early Rolleiflex from somewhere around 1929 (I think), hopefully the optics aren't as trashed as the leather.
    Microcord, Minoltacord, Minolta Autocord, and Beautycord, to name a few. Did I say Rollei?

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E
    You may want to update your data. Look at item 7624560634 for example, which is a Rolleicord V with Xenar that went for $84.10 Saturday, with a seven day guarantee. Prices have fallen for all medium format gear.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been keeping track, most of the good 'cords have been going for a little above $100. The one on Saturday I let slip past because I already had one decent one and one donor on the way, so I didn't bother to push the bid. Most of them seem to be up around $125, at least the last 2 or 3 weeks. I was kind of surprised that the early (and ugly) 'flex went so low, picked it up for under $50, but it needs work! I know it isn't one of the best versions, but it was very early, should be here next week.

Speaking of work, maybe you can help me find an answer. I'm looking for a Rollei service manual for the lenses, specifically the shutter mechanism and timer for the longer speeds. I'm going to put up a new thread about this so that this one doesn't get hijacked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about the Lubitel pseudo TLR? Not really a TLR since it doesn't really use a reflex finder in the sense that a Rollei or Seagull would. It's probably a step or two or three above the Holga but it can deliver really good results. Doesn't leak (most of the time anyway ) like the holga, really focuses great pictures through its real anastigmat lens, and has adjustable apertures and shutter speeds to boot. Costs about US$25.

Or for folders, there's the Moskwa (Moscow) 6x9.

My bias for FSU cameras shows, doesn't it?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin