Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,867   Online: 881

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    For a camera that you will handhold under circumstances that allow you to take your time and compose as you want then I believe you have to try the cameras to get a feel for them. If weight or bulk is a big issue for you then the lighter or more compact of the two is a definite consideration. If you are going to use them at eye level then you need to evaluate them where both cameras have a prism. This changes weight and has price consideration also...if I remeber correctly the Pentax prism will show only 85% of the image that the camera will caputure. If you are going to use the camera with on camera flash then the Hasselblad wins hands down since the flash stay in one spot and of course synchs at all speeds.. If you are going to use them on a tripod then again ther Hassleblad is much easier to use because it does not require any change from horizontal to vertical composition. Changing from horizontal to vertical composition is a PITA wih any camera on a tripod. This is where a Mamiya RB-RZ really shines. Perhaps you should also consider these cameras.

It is helpful to think a bit beyond how you antcipate using the camera and also to consider what else may be of some future importance.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can chime in here, since I own and use both p67's and 500cm's. The ultimate comparison of camera systems is the final print.

500cm will produce an excellent T-max 100 11x14 B&W print. Going to 16x20, prints begin to breakdown.

P67 will produce excellent T-max 100 16x20's. Side by side the p67 prints are noticably better since you have 50% more area in 55x69mm negative than a 55x55mm negative cropped to 55x44mm.

An additional plus is my 55mm f4.0 SMC lens. SHARP,SHARP, SHARP (156 lp/mm at F5.6 using gigabitfilm). This lens is diffraction limited at 5.6. The p67 and the 55mm would be the last camera (of 27 at last count) I would give up.

That is my main criteria.

However the 500 cm is my favorite camera to shoot with!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For what it's worth,

Have owned both, still have several 500c's and only one pentax 6x7. I love both of them, though I prefer the 6x7 as I totally hate a square format. My Blads and Pentax have done wonderfull work to 20x24for me.

Personal preference is the main difference in my experience. Any Hasselblad that is still breathing will do a great job. I have never had any problems with the several 6x7 Pentax's I have owned. I also do not like focusing at waist level, so I use the eye level prisim. The meter died in it the first year or so, since I never used it anyway I never had it repaired. The darker ground glass in the 500c never caused anyone I personally know of any trouble. I know I shot a lot of night football with a 250 mm lens, and had no problems focusing.

Both are wonderful instruments and a capable of some wonderous negatives or transparancies.

Charlie.................................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bryan
    I suggest you more difficult way to figure out which camera to buy.
    Make a clear statement what you want to pool out of your MF. E.g.
    1. portrait of old people in my studio
    2. close up in studio
    3. TTL flash mixed with day light
    4. OR manual multiflash mixed with daylight
    When you make a list, something like business plan, search through lenses ability and the best answer will pop-out like a Jack out of the box.
    And do not forget to insert into the game and Mamiya 67(any).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both a 500c and a 500ELM, prefer the latter as it seems to sit better, extra weight and all that. When I'm out and about with a square format camera I tend to look for square pictures and rarely crop.
    Having said that I find that when I shoot MF I tend to take out my Rolleiflex 3.5f or T as I find them much nicer to use with quality as good if not better due to lack of vibration.
    There is that something that keeps drawing me back to the Rolleis.

I know that you don't have magazines to change film types but I find that I rarely shoot B&W together with colour. It's all about the mind set.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure whether it has been mentioned here - I couldn't see it - but remember the Pentax has a maximum flash sync of only 1/30. The Hasselblad of course up to its max of 1/500.

If you are shooting landscapes or something this is not an issue, but worth bearing in mind if you plan to use flash.

One of the things I like about the hasselbald (and other camers with waist level finders) is that you can take photos unobtrusively as people often don't realise you are shooting, whereas with the pentax or 35mm slr they know as soon as it is up to your eye.

Matt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin