Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,714   Online: 758

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist
    The roll gets larger in diameter as the film is advanced. The amount that the winding mechanism moves the roller core does not change as the roller fills with film.
    The mechanism does change the amount of film spooled on to compensate for the growing roll diameter. You would never get 12/24 120/220 shots if it didn't.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aoresteen
    FWIW only the fisrt version of the Pentax 6x7 got 21 pictures on 220. Later models were reduced to 20 images on 220 as I recall.
    No, I have an almost new 67II and it gets 21 on 220.

David.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sorry, to be so dense, but I feel like my question hasn't been answered. Is it normal for the spacing on the original 120/220 back to get wider towards the end of the roll? I find no mention of this in the original owner's manual. I am wondering if it is ok, or if I should get the back repaired before it gets worse.

William

Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    No, I have an almost new 67II and it gets 21 on 220.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's the dense friendly response

1. Are you getting 24 shots?

2. Is shot #1 starting at the beginning of the film?

3. Are you winding the leader on tightly? If the leader is too loose, the takeup spool will be thicker than the camera's frame spacing mechanism "thinks", and yes you will get wider spacing towards the end.
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Mike,

1.Yes

2.Yes

3.Yes

The reason I am worried about it that I'm about to go on a weeklong trip and have about 100 rolls of 220 and if the spacing was indicative of a potential problem with the back, I'd leave the Rollei home. I guess I will give it a shot and try and wind that roll even tighter.

W.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs
    Here's the dense friendly response

1. Are you getting 24 shots?

2. Is shot #1 starting at the beginning of the film?

3. Are you winding the leader on tightly? If the leader is too loose, the takeup spool will be thicker than the camera's frame spacing mechanism "thinks", and yes you will get wider spacing towards the end.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're getting 24 shots, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

If you need piece of mind, get it serviced - no response on the internet is going to give you piece of mind for an important shoot. I had Juergen Kuschnik (SL66 expert, ex-Rollei employee in California) overhaul my SL66 and he did excellent work with very fast turn-around. I normally fix my own cameras but the SL66 is in another league mechanically and I didn't have the spare parts it required.

I do intend to overhaul my own SL66 magazine backs when they act up. (I have three, all working OK) Someone like Juergen is going to set you back at least $100-150 + shipping though.
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you decide to have your Rollei or an old Rollei camera serviced, Krikor Maralian is the official repair for old Rolleis in the US. I just visited Krikor last week, he will be checking my eBay purchase of Rollei 35S when it arrives and he has serviced my Rollei 3.5F for years.

Krikor's info is:

Krikor Maralian
    Krimar Photo Shop
    105B Broadway (Rt 4)
    Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
    (201) 796-0554

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another recommendation for Juergen Kuschnik. He is one of the few people who is able to service the SL 66SE.

In answer to your question to me, I've only used 220 in a 220 back for the SL 66, never in a 120/220 back.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found the 120/220 backs to be the weak spot of the SL66. I did not know the the later backs were 120 or 220 only. I had issues with my backs getting jammed occasionaly, and spacing could be an issue even on 120. I suspect they needed servicing. Perhaps the later design corrected all the issues I experienced, but I sold all my SL66 gear about 20 years ago.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin