Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,696   Online: 819

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Good bag for RB-67?

I finally bought a 180mm lens and now have nothing remotely convinient to carry this camera around in. I guess I'd like something that will hold the camera/lens an extra lens, meter, Diana camera and several rolls of film.

I'm a big fan of simple. I'm also a big fan of something that doesn't scream "steal me".

Thanks,

Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went to my local Lowe's (a home improvement chain) and found a bag made for carrying tools. It was in the tool section. It's made of a synthetic fabric, has two large pockets for camera and lens on one side and film holders on the other, and several pockets on the outside. The bottom of the bag is made with some type of sturdy insert - I guess to keep heavy tools from poking through it. It has both a shoulder strap and handles. Cost less than $30. It is not a nice, shiny Halliburton case.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a Tenba backpack on eBay for incredibly little. It doesn't scream "steal me" so much as "I'm goin' campin." I get a lot of comments when I go to a local wildlife refuge from people who think that maybe I don't know the rules and am planning on staying for the night.

It has plenty of space for everything and is easy to adjust. I find that a backpack is great for something as heavy as an RB. Tenba seems to be cheaper on eBay than some of the other "pro" brands as well.

Good luck!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I got some cases and a bag from photobackpacker (one of APUG's sponsers) and I really like the setup. I met him at the conference and was able to get some measurements of my RB gear and there are several of his cases that work really well. He was very helpful when I had a few questions. Try pm'ing him.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Mamiya RZ67 with the 180mm, 50mm ULD and 110mm as well as my handheld light meter. I use an ordinary street/school backpack which you can pick up anywhere, mine has nice shoulder padding and padding on the back support - $20. Then I purchased one of those soft padded lunch boxes with two compartments (food in one, drink in the other) one lens fits nicely in each compartment. And the soft padding of the lunchbox which is supposed to insulate your lunch provides plenty of protection. You can also put film in the lunchbox along with the lenses and it keeps it cool/warm. Cost $10.
    This is what it looks like:

Lunchbox laid sideways inside the backpack with RZ with 3rd lens attached goes on top of it and I have room for all my other accessories and film in the backpack.

I looked at the tool bags mentioned above, nice designs with lots of compartments but all the ones I saw were quite heavy as they are reinforced to prevent tools from ripping the canvas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a Tenba P995 (fine for RB) and a P595 (too small for RB), these are great bags.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried one short cut after another and they were awkward in one way or another. The RB-67 kit now goes in a Lowe-Pro Commercial AW MF version shoulder bag. Everything fits easily in the bag (three lenses, two backs, body, meter, filters , film, etc) and I just grab the bag, the tripod , and GO!

The downside is the Lowe-Pro Commercial AW/MF is huge, maybe the biggest shoulder-bag made, a virtual "assistant killer", but I swap shoulders often so the pain is shared (halved?) and bag carrying does not result in permanent spinal deformity.

I guess "Lowe-Pro" is international-speak for "steal me" but out in the Australian bush only kangaroos or wombats have the bulk to make off with it and they would soon ditch it when they discovered it was only a film camera.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You could get an RB, meter and a couple of lenses into one of the larger shoulder bags.

Have you considered where you will keep your tripod? I use the lowe pro mini trekker which is perfect for the RB, and the tripod attachement is great. Having a lowe bag with a tripod on it does scream steal me however.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the great ideas everyone. I have some auction scanning to do...
    I guess the "steal me" factor is relative considering some people will steal anything :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist
    Thanks for the great ideas everyone. I have some auction scanning to do...
    I guess the "steal me" factor is relative considering some people will steal anything :rolleyes:
    Locally, a car was broken into and among the items stolen were a pair of reading glasses and a bible. Maybe someone looking to reform?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin